If you use Cumulus, please donate Image

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Feature Suggestion ;) tmp folder

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Jessie Lite rPi

Feature Suggestion ;) tmp folder

Postby mcrossley » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Steve, how about creating a /tmp folder (other names are available) under the Cumulus structure, and direct all the transitory file writes to this folder. I'm thinking the processed <filename>tmp files, JSON files, realtime.txt etc.

If they were all created in a single folder then it would be easy to link this to a RAM drive and avoid having all that IO on the main drive. Whilst not an issue for 'proper' computers, this would a benefit for those running on Raspberry Pi type architectures, especially those running on simple SD cards which tend to wear out!

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Feature Suggestion ;) tmp folder

Postby steve » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:39 pm

It's a good idea, and I'll consider it, for the 'tmp' files at least. It should probably have been done that way in the first place, instead of creating files with 'tmp' on the end at all.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Like Cumulus and want to support it? Please donate! Image

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 17.04)

Re: Feature Suggestion ;) tmp folder

Postby freddie » Wed May 03, 2017 1:05 pm

If they were all created in a single folder then it would be easy to link this to a RAM drive and avoid having all that IO on the main drive
You can do this yourself using symbolic links. I have my MX installed as per the FHS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard) guidelines by using symbolic links.
Freddie

Return to “Cumulus MX”