Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Running as root/administrator

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Adrian Hudson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Running as root/administrator

Post by Adrian Hudson »

Question for the FAQs

Running as Administrator/Root

I am going to guess that a number of people won't like running as Administrator or Root. It will make it a bit difficult to automate the start up of the program in Windows at least with people who have UAC turned on - and it wouldn't be good practice to turn it off.

The question is: Is this a permanent state of affairs or as the program progresses through beta, will this requirement be dropped?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Running as root/administrator

Post by steve »

It's required to run as a web server. Apparently there are settings on each platform which can be made to remove the requirement, but I haven't fully investigated these yet. So it's possible that the requirement will be removed.
Steve
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

steve wrote:It's required to run as a web server. Apparently there are settings on each platform which can be made to remove the requirement, but I haven't fully investigated these yet. So it's possible that the requirement will be removed.
On GNU/Linux it is done easily. As long as you aren't using a privileged port (1024 or less) and any files written by the application are in a location accessible to the user it is running as (usually done through the configuration file for the application) then there is no need to run as a privileged user.
Freddie
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

Adrian Hudson wrote: It will make it a bit difficult to automate the start up of the program in Windows at least with people who have UAC turned on - and it wouldn't be good practice to turn it off.
Hi Adrian,

You can get around this requirement by using Task Scheduler and while doing so can start a program on startup.
Check out this link for details:
http://www.7tutorials.com/use-task-sche ... ac-prompts

Cheers Bob
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

freddie wrote:
steve wrote:It's required to run as a web server. Apparently there are settings on each platform which can be made to remove the requirement, but I haven't fully investigated these yet. So it's possible that the requirement will be removed.
On GNU/Linux it is done easily. As long as you aren't using a privileged port (1024 or less) and any files written by the application are in a location accessible to the user it is running as (usually done through the configuration file for the application) then there is no need to run as a privileged user.
I get an 'access denied' on my Pi when the websocket listener attempts to start (on port 8002).
Steve
duke

Post by duke »

On a similar subject, I think some people may find the black dos window intimidating. Especially as an accidental tap of any key would terminate CumulusMX. Perhaps later a console like XAMPP uses could be created? I have several other programs that have a built in web server and still start / open in the 'usual' way.

Just my thoughts.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Ideally I would like to see it run as a service under Windows, and daemon under Linux, I'm not sure if Steve is going to take it that far yet as it would probably require installers creating in addition to any program changes.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

mcrossley wrote:Ideally I would like to see it run as a service under Windows, and daemon under Linux
That's the intention, yes - eventually.
Steve
Adrian Hudson

Post by Adrian Hudson »

uncle_bob wrote:You can get around this requirement by using Task Scheduler
Cheers Bob
Oh yeah, of course you can. Durr. I forgot that!
Adrian Hudson

Post by Adrian Hudson »

duke wrote:... an accidental tap of any key would terminate CumulusMX. ...
Been there, done that already. Perhaps it could be a command (like "quit") that you need to type? I hesitate to suggest this as am enhancement as Steve is busy fixing bugs...