Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WeatherDuino Pro 2 [Solved]

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Werk_AG
Weather Station: WeatherDuino 4Pro
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: WeatherDuino Pro 2

Post by Werk_AG »

So must be something else... I will continue trying to log something, but as I said, after the initial three <LF> nothing more is logged.
WeatherDuino also works with Weather Display (with logger off), which I think also not uses the Davis dll.
Could you do something like an option that will disable the use of the logger? I'm just trying to guess... (With Cumulus 1 WeatherDuino works no matter you enable or disable the use of the logger)

For now I'm testing with distro 3002 in Windows 7. Distro 3003 and 3004 don't start (I will post the MXdiags in a new thread)

Thank to both of you, for your willingness to help
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Werk_AG wrote:Could you do something like an option that will disable the use of the logger?
Yes, the option is in there already, and I fixed it so it actually takes effect a couple of builds ago. Change the "UseDataLogger" line in Cumulus.ini to UseDataLogger=0 while Cumulus is stopped.
Steve
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

steve wrote:
Werk_AG wrote:Could you do something like an option that will disable the use of the logger?
Yes, the option is in there already, and I fixed it so it actually takes effect a couple of builds ago. Change the "UseDataLogger" line in Cumulus.ini to UseDataLogger=0 while Cumulus is stopped.
Thanks Steve
I had seen this option and already setup it this way, just thought it was not effective on CumulusMX.

Edited:
It's because UseDataLogger=0 is now working, it's using some code that wasn't used before. I'll investigate.
Ok, this is why 3002 runs and 3003, 3004 not. Thanks, some hope now! :D

steve wrote: The protocol spec explicitly warns against this:
Serial commands for Vantage Pro2 must be terminated by a single line feed or a single carriage return character, but not both. Older code that terminates commands with both a line feed and a carriage return will not work or will work intermittently.
I have been checking the emulation and in fact, <CR> after a <LF> is not needed.

Only a single time, I got this interesting diagnostic file, and then it was possible to see weather data in Cumulus MX interface but just for a while, but it never happened again ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Could it be the serial port settings? Apart from setting 19200 8-N-1, I set this:

{Handshake = Handshake.RequestToSend, DtrEnable = true};

There is no information in the protocol spec about this, I seem to remember that I found these settings on the 'net somewhere.
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

That could be it Steve, I think the interface has been implemented as a three wire (xmt, rcv, gnd), so no RTS/CTS. This is quite common on simple systems.

Adding RTS/CTS loop back to the cable would prove that. Or changing MX to use None.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

mcrossley wrote:Adding RTS/CTS loop back to the cable would prove that.
If I understand correctly, doing that seems to have fixed the issue with the clone loggers.
Or changing MX to use None.
I'll give that a try.
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Ah yes, I just read the post on the other thread about this. Too many topics! :roll:
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

mcrossley wrote:That could be it Steve, I think the interface has been implemented as a three wire (xmt, rcv, gnd), so no RTS/CTS. This is quite common on simple systems.

Adding RTS/CTS loop back to the cable would prove that. Or changing MX to use None.
This may explain why I can't log any coms between Arduino and CumulusMX, is like that after some seconds the com port is closed.
steve wrote:I'll give that a try.
Don't know if this it will cause any problem to you, but if not, changing MX to use None, may also could solve the problem with WeatherDuino.

Thank for your efforts
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'm running with handshake=none now with my Davis serial logger, and it seems fine.
Steve
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

steve wrote:I'm running with handshake=none now with my Davis serial logger, and it seems fine.
Hi Steve

This are very good news. Maybe the version you are using right now, will work with WeatherDuino.

In the last days I was away from home, now that I'm back, I've been doing some tests with an USB / LAN / USB adapter, and although I have not been able to obtain data, now I have a different behavior in the CumulusMX web interface, at least it shows all fileds with zero values. :D after a small time coms stop again.
It is very likely that my problem is related with the serial communication.

Thanks for all your efforts trying to solve everybody problems.
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

BINGO! :D :D :D

You have done it! WeatherDuino is running like a charm with 3005 release!
CumulusMX marks a new age in the history of weather software. I am very happy for could use it with WeatherDuino system. Many many thanks, Steve

Now I'm testing CumulusMX in a Windows 7 machine with GB settings, tonight I will start tests with a Raspberry PI B.

Regards
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

Just added handshake=none to my cumulus.ini at the end of the [Station] section.
Checked the serial port monitor output and it is the same as last reported after adding the CTS/RTS link - i.e. the XOFF_CONTINUE is now present in the monitor output.

Sorry Steve I did not realise adding this was what you meant in your post on my other thread.
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

I can concur that Cumulus MX is communicating with the Weatherduino now. :)

Steve, I cannot believe how quick you get these bug fixes and changes through!
So yay! We can now also kick the tyres so to speak too :) Looking good too I must say.

Thanks and cheers!
UB

Edit: Thanks to BCJKiwi too for discovering the root cause, being a RS232 Null cable problem.
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

BCJKiwi wrote:Just added handshake=none to my cumulus.ini at the end of the [Station] section.
It's not a setting, it just does it now.
Steve
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Re: WeatherDuino Pro 2 [Solved]

Post by BCJKiwi »

Oh, OK.