Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Installing latest version over previous version ?

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Installing latest version over previous version ?

Post by nitrx »

I just dowloaded build 3004 and thought to overwrite the files in the same directory as build 3002 was (windows 10) it seems that the settings are lost I've to fill out everything again.

Is this intended to be so ? The Cumulus.ini was the old one because there is no such file in the package I thought the settings should be read from the existing ini , whats the best way to use a new version.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Installing latest version over previous version ?

Post by steve »

Overwriting is usually fine. This last build had some files moved in the webfiles folder (as you know), so you would get (harmless) duplication. Cumulus never comes with a Cumulus.ini file, so your settings are never overwritten. If it didn't pick up your existing Cumulus.ini file, there must be some other explanation. If you upload the MXdiags folder (so I can see the diags from before and after) I'll take a look.
Steve
nitrx

Post by nitrx »

Yes I know about the webfiles but the 'old' Cumulus.ini is overwritten and has no values attached diag.zip 1 before the new installatiton and the other after.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Steve, build 3004 does contain a Cumulus.ini file 5,571 bytes long so if you just copy the CumulusMXDist folder over your existing install without excluding Cumulus.ini you will loose your previous settings.
David
duke

Post by duke »

The zip I downloaded last night does not have .ini included in the package.
nitrx

Post by nitrx »

duke wrote:The zip I downloaded last night does not have .ini included in the package.
Mine doesn't have an ini either.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

2015-01-08 14_53_48-.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Whoops my apologies, the Cumulus.ini was in the original CumulusMxDist from the first version that Steve released. If you, like me just extract it to the same folder, then it appears to be part of the package release (will have to stop doing that), so when you do the copy if you didn't notice that (which I did) it would copy the Cumulus.ini file from the very first release zip file over your existing Cumulus.ini.

Bad practise strikes again!!
David
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

nitrx wrote:Yes I know about the webfiles but the 'old' Cumulus.ini is overwritten and has no values attached diag.zip 1 before the new installatiton and the other after.
The end of your 'before' file has garbage at the end of it, suggesting that something crashed or wasn't closed down cleanly, which presumably corrupted the Cumulus.ini file and made it unreadable. So it generated a new one.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

water01 wrote:Whoops my apologies, the Cumulus.ini was in the original CumulusMxDist from the first version that Steve released.
No, it wasn't. I never include a Cumulus.ini file.
Steve
nitrx

Post by nitrx »

steve wrote:
nitrx wrote:Yes I know about the webfiles but the 'old' Cumulus.ini is overwritten and has no values attached diag.zip 1 before the new installatiton and the other after.
The end of your 'before' file has garbage at the end of it, suggesting that something crashed or wasn't closed down cleanly, which presumably corrupted the Cumulus.ini file and made it unreadable. So it generated a new one.
A nice no idea what garbage but will make the ini again
thanks