Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

malkie
Weather Station: Davis Vision-Vue
Operating System: Raspbian Jessie

Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Post by malkie »

What is your advice about updating the Rpi when a new beta rolls around, delete everything or just look for updated files?

I've managed to get my Pi producing a temporary web site at www.elmnet-weather/C3/index.htm

Just the basic pages so far, that took long enough! Those steel gauges were driving me nuts!

Malcolm
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
http://elm30net.ddns.net
CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi4 B+ 2GB, running on Raspbian Buster booting from USB SSD
from a Davis Vantage Vue with VP2 ISS.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Post by mcrossley »

I just copy/paste the contents of the mx zip file to the folder I run from (with MX stopped of course). I use WinSCP to do the copy/paste.

WinSCP also makes editing files on the rPi a breeze too, it automatically downloads a copy of the file, loads it into your favourite editor, and when you save/close the file in your Windows editor, copies it back to the rPi again. No messing with nano etc! :lol:
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Usually you can just unzip the new build over the old one. I try to remember to mention if something has moved, or needs uploading to the web.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

mcrossley wrote:WinSCP also makes editing files on the rPi a breeze too, it automatically downloads a copy of the file, loads it into your favourite editor, and when you save/close the file in your Windows editor, copies it back to the rPi again. No messing with nano etc! :lol:
I do the same, but using Filezilla. I think I tried WinSCP once, but went back to Filezilla. The way Filezilla is going, I may give it another try.
Steve
malkie

Post by malkie »

Thanks for the replies, I've installed 'samba' on my Rpi so can see it as a mapped drive from my windows box. Makes cut and paste as easy as Pi!
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi4 B+ 2GB, running on Raspbian Buster booting from USB SSD
laulau
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by laulau »

steve wrote:Usually you can just unzip the new build over the old one. I try to remember to mention if something has moved, or needs uploading to the web.
But it overwrite also the web template files !? :oops:
Laurent

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Ah, yes it does. So you need to take care if you have modified them.
Steve
WoodburyMan
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2

Post by WoodburyMan »

I setup a Samba server on my Pi for the Pi user directory, password protected. I mount this on my desktop and just edit fills all will nilly. I usually just copy the .zip over Samba then SSH in using open-ssh from cygwin in a command prompt and run the unzip command. You can use putty if you want too to SSH in.
Woodbury, CT Weather Ecowitt GW1100, Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning
Southington, CT Weather Ecowitt GW2000 Wittboy Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning, CO2/PM2.5/PM10

Running CumuluxMX 3.24.1 b3234 both sites on Windows 11 22H2
hmiller
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspberry Pi Model B

Post by hmiller »

winscp here.
malkie

Post by malkie »

WoodburyMan wrote:I setup a Samba server on my Pi for the Pi user directory, password protected. I mount this on my desktop and just edit fills all will nilly. I usually just copy the .zip over Samba then SSH in using open-ssh from cygwin in a command prompt and run the unzip command. You can use putty if you want too to SSH in.
My approach is similar, I use putty to remote log in as well. Then I set a second putty window running with tail -f to the current MXDiag file to monitor what is going on.

Last night I updated my Pi to 3016 by checking the File Created dates in windows to see which had new creation dates. There were only a few that were newer than what I had already installed under 3014. It has not been running since but I'll reconnect it to my FO console later and see how it goes.
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
henkg
Weather Station: WH3080 (Alecto WS-5000 ECO)
Operating System: Raspbian Wheezy on RPI B+

Post by henkg »

For every build I create a new directory on the RPI, and copy all the unzipped files into it.
After stopping CumulusMX.exe I copy the data and backup directory, Cumulus.ini (and web/indexT.htm, until now the only webfiles mod) from the active directory to my Windows computer (also as a backup), and paste these copies onto the new directory of the RPI.
Then I change the path in rc.local and the extra files source path in Cumulus.ini.
(And if needed: copy webfiles -such as cumuluscharts.js- to my web folder)
Finally: sudo reboot.

All this can be done in less than 10 minutes. The advantage: it is very easy to go back to a previous build (CumulusMX is beta!), all files and data are still there.
Tools: a combination of Putty and WinSCP.
garylovesbeer
Weather Station: WS-2308
Operating System: Mac OS X El Capitan

Post by garylovesbeer »

henkg wrote:For every build I create a new directory on the RPI, and copy all the unzipped files into it.
After stopping CumulusMX.exe I copy the data and backup directory, Cumulus.ini (and web/indexT.htm, until now the only webfiles mod) from the active directory to my Windows computer (also as a backup), and paste these copies onto the new directory of the RPI.
Then I change the path in rc.local and the extra files source path in Cumulus.ini.
(And if needed: copy webfiles -such as cumuluscharts.js- to my web folder)
Finally: sudo reboot.

All this can be done in less than 10 minutes. The advantage: it is very easy to go back to a previous build (CumulusMX is beta!), all files and data are still there.
Tools: a combination of Putty and WinSCP.
I am doing basically the same except I copy the CumulusMX folder to CumulusMXBuildNumber erg CumulusMX3022.

Then unzip the new build to CumulusMX, copy relevant files from CumulusMXBuildNumber to CumulusMX.

No need to edit paths in rc.local or Cumulus.ini

Still have an historical copy of the old data and setup.