Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.
malkie
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:38 am
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby malkie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:53 pm

What is your advice about updating the Rpi when a new beta rolls around, delete everything or just look for updated files?

I've managed to get my Pi producing a temporary web site at www.elmnet-weather/C3/index.htm

Just the basic pages so far, that took long enough! Those steel gauges were driving me nuts!

Malcolm
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
http://www.elmnet-weather.net
Cumulus 3 on Raspberry Pi 2, running on Raspbian, from a Davis Vantage Vue.

User avatar
mcrossley
Posts: 5013
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 pm
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Jessie Lite rPi
Location: Wilmslow, Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby mcrossley » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:58 pm

I just copy/paste the contents of the mx zip file to the folder I run from (with MX stopped of course). I use WinSCP to do the copy/paste.

WinSCP also makes editing files on the rPi a breeze too, it automatically downloads a copy of the file, loads it into your favourite editor, and when you save/close the file in your Windows editor, copies it back to the rPi again. No messing with nano etc! :lol:

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26311
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in Portugal
Contact:

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby steve » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:00 pm

Usually you can just unzip the new build over the old one. I try to remember to mention if something has moved, or needs uploading to the web.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26311
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in Portugal
Contact:

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby steve » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:02 pm

mcrossley wrote:WinSCP also makes editing files on the rPi a breeze too, it automatically downloads a copy of the file, loads it into your favourite editor, and when you save/close the file in your Windows editor, copies it back to the rPi again. No messing with nano etc! :lol:
I do the same, but using Filezilla. I think I tried WinSCP once, but went back to Filezilla. The way Filezilla is going, I may give it another try.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

malkie
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:38 am
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby malkie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:18 pm

Thanks for the replies, I've installed 'samba' on my Rpi so can see it as a mapped drive from my windows box. Makes cut and paste as easy as Pi!
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
http://www.elmnet-weather.net
Cumulus 3 on Raspberry Pi 2, running on Raspbian, from a Davis Vantage Vue.

User avatar
laulau
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:52 pm
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7
Location: Meyenheim, Alsace, FR
Contact:

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby laulau » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:37 pm

steve wrote:Usually you can just unzip the new build over the old one. I try to remember to mention if something has moved, or needs uploading to the web.

But it overwrite also the web template files !? :oops:
Laurent

Image

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26311
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in Portugal
Contact:

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby steve » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:18 pm

Ah, yes it does. So you need to take care if you have modified them.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

WoodburyMan
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:02 am
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2095
Operating System: RaspberryPi Model B 3.0
Location: Woodbury, Connecticut, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby WoodburyMan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:33 am

I setup a Samba server on my Pi for the Pi user directory, password protected. I mount this on my desktop and just edit fills all will nilly. I usually just copy the .zip over Samba then SSH in using open-ssh from cygwin in a command prompt and run the unzip command. You can use putty if you want too to SSH in.
Image
http://www.woodburyweather.com
Running CumuluxMX 3020 on a RaspberryPi Model B 2.0.

hmiller
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:21 pm
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspberry Pi Model B
Location: Darrington, Wa. USA

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby hmiller » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:39 am

winscp here.

malkie
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:38 am
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: XP SP3
Location: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby malkie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:40 pm

WoodburyMan wrote:I setup a Samba server on my Pi for the Pi user directory, password protected. I mount this on my desktop and just edit fills all will nilly. I usually just copy the .zip over Samba then SSH in using open-ssh from cygwin in a command prompt and run the unzip command. You can use putty if you want too to SSH in.


My approach is similar, I use putty to remote log in as well. Then I set a second putty window running with tail -f to the current MXDiag file to monitor what is going on.

Last night I updated my Pi to 3016 by checking the File Created dates in windows to see which had new creation dates. There were only a few that were newer than what I had already installed under 3014. It has not been running since but I'll reconnect it to my FO console later and see how it goes.
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
http://www.elmnet-weather.net
Cumulus 3 on Raspberry Pi 2, running on Raspbian, from a Davis Vantage Vue.

henkg
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:53 am
Weather Station: WH3080 (Alecto WS-5000 ECO)
Operating System: Raspbian Wheezy on RPI B+
Location: Zeeland, Netherlands

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby henkg » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:09 pm

For every build I create a new directory on the RPI, and copy all the unzipped files into it.
After stopping CumulusMX.exe I copy the data and backup directory, Cumulus.ini (and web/indexT.htm, until now the only webfiles mod) from the active directory to my Windows computer (also as a backup), and paste these copies onto the new directory of the RPI.
Then I change the path in rc.local and the extra files source path in Cumulus.ini.
(And if needed: copy webfiles -such as cumuluscharts.js- to my web folder)
Finally: sudo reboot.

All this can be done in less than 10 minutes. The advantage: it is very easy to go back to a previous build (CumulusMX is beta!), all files and data are still there.
Tools: a combination of Putty and WinSCP.
Image

garylovesbeer
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:41 am
Weather Station: WS-2308
Operating System: Mac OS X El Capitan
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Upgrading CumulusMX in the Rpi

Postby garylovesbeer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:12 am

henkg wrote:For every build I create a new directory on the RPI, and copy all the unzipped files into it.
After stopping CumulusMX.exe I copy the data and backup directory, Cumulus.ini (and web/indexT.htm, until now the only webfiles mod) from the active directory to my Windows computer (also as a backup), and paste these copies onto the new directory of the RPI.
Then I change the path in rc.local and the extra files source path in Cumulus.ini.
(And if needed: copy webfiles -such as cumuluscharts.js- to my web folder)
Finally: sudo reboot.

All this can be done in less than 10 minutes. The advantage: it is very easy to go back to a previous build (CumulusMX is beta!), all files and data are still there.
Tools: a combination of Putty and WinSCP.


I am doing basically the same except I copy the CumulusMX folder to CumulusMXBuildNumber erg CumulusMX3022.

Then unzip the new build to CumulusMX, copy relevant files from CumulusMXBuildNumber to CumulusMX.

No need to edit paths in rc.local or Cumulus.ini

Still have an historical copy of the old data and setup.


Return to “Cumulus MX”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests