Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

CumulusMX - RaspberyPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.5.0

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.
User avatar
VTHokie74
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:58 am
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian
Location: Ashland, KY

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby VTHokie74 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:48 pm

The only time I had a problem with the init.d script was when I had a total power failure a while back and the RP3 started much faster than my router and cable modem. It takes several minutes for the Internet to come up. Otherwise it works fine on a simple RP3 reboot. I set the wait on network option at boot option to take care of the total power outage situation.

I'm not home right now. I'll try the -w option when I return tomorrow.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3

BigOkie
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:06 am
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Raspian Jessie
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby BigOkie » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Jank, I think what is being talked about with the wait for network at boot parameter is an option in raspi-config.

User avatar
VTHokie74
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:58 am
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian
Location: Ashland, KY

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby VTHokie74 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:26 pm

BigOkie wrote:Jank, I think what is being talked about with the wait for network at boot parameter is an option in raspi-config.

Yes.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3

jank
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:57 pm
Weather Station: weatherstation
Operating System: Debian Wheezy
Location: Germany

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby jank » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:46 pm

VTHokie74 wrote:
BigOkie wrote:Jank, I think what is being talked about with the wait for network at boot parameter is an option in raspi-config.

Yes.

Ahhh thanks.....this should always be enabled, but will not help you, because your raspi seem to be much faster up then your Internet Router....
Want to see your Station values on SSH? Cumulusnow http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14062
Want a Start|Stop|Restart Script for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13767

User avatar
VTHokie74
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:58 am
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian
Location: Ashland, KY

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby VTHokie74 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:03 pm

jank wrote:Ahhh thanks.....this should always be enabled, but will not help you, because your raspi seem to be much faster up then your Internet Router....


I think the "wait on network at boot" raspi-config setting worked the last time I had a power failure. CumulusMX launched OK. The only thing that didn't work was mounting my network drive for backups. I fixed that by adding a crontab entry with a script to mount all drives to run 5 minutes before the nightly backup. That way I can be sure the network drive is mounted before the backup script runs. I have been running 43 days without a glitch now.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3

BigOkie
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:06 am
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Raspian Jessie
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby BigOkie » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:10 am

VTHokie74 wrote:
jank wrote:Ahhh thanks.....this should always be enabled, but will not help you, because your raspi seem to be much faster up then your Internet Router....


I think the "wait on network at boot" raspi-config setting worked the last time I had a power failure. CumulusMX launched OK. The only thing that didn't work was mounting my network drive for backups. I fixed that by adding a crontab entry with a script to mount all drives to run 5 minutes before the nightly backup. That way I can be sure the network drive is mounted before the backup script runs. I have been running 43 days without a glitch now.


Mine's not quite that long yet; as I just moved from my Windows 10 machine to the Pi3 in late August. It has been running for a while however.

Version check
CumulusMX Version: Cumulus MX v.3.0.0 build 3041 - Available Version: 3041
This Script Version: 2.5.2.2 (2016-08-30) - Available new Version: 2.5.3.0 (2016-09-27)
CumulusNow Version: 1.3 - Available Version: 1.4 (12.09.2016)
Linux OS Version: "Raspbian GNU/Linux" - DEBIAN - 8 (JESSIE) - 4.4.13-v7+
Mono Version: Mono JIT compiler version 4.0.5 (Stable 4.0.5.1/1d8d582 Thu Nov 12 12:22:41 UTC 2015)
Status check
CumulusMX is running
CumulusMX is running since: 2016-09-09 09:32
CumulusMX is listening on TCP Port: 8998 (http://10.1.10.96:8998)
CumulusMX was started by user: root - CumulusMX-Statuspage was called as: root and locale is:
ProcessID (PID) of CumulusMX is: 27810
Environment check
Path to CumulusMX is: /home/pi/CumulusMX
Path to CumulusMX Backup Folder is: /mnt/NAS/Mark/wxserver - Backups to keep: 5
Path to CumulusMX DD Backup Folder is: - Backups to keep:
Cloud Backup Settings are not configured
System Locale: en_US.UTF-8 - CumulusMX Language: English
System check
Current System Date/Time is: Wed Sep 28 19:07:30 CDT 2016
Network Interface: eth0 - IP Address: 10.1.10.96 - Netmask: 255.255.255.0
System Uptime of RasberryPi(wxserver) is: 24 days 51 minutes
Overall used diskspace of /home/pi/CumulusMX Folder is: 168M /home/pi/CumulusMX
Free diskspace on this device: 27G of 30G Total, used 1.7G
Free diskspace on boot device: 93%
Free diskspace on CumulusMX Install device (/home/pi/CumulusMX): 93%

User avatar
VTHokie74
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:58 am
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian
Location: Ashland, KY

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby VTHokie74 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:41 pm

I downloaded and installed the latest version of the script today and it works fine. I tried the -w option and it does nothing if CumulusMX is running and starts it if it is not. I like the startup animation. :D
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3

jank
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:57 pm
Weather Station: weatherstation
Operating System: Debian Wheezy
Location: Germany

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby jank » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:04 pm

VTHokie74 wrote:I downloaded and installed the latest version of the script today and it works fine. I tried the -w option and it does nothing if CumulusMX is running and starts it if it is not.

Thank you very much for the feedback :-)

VTHokie74 wrote:I like the startup animation. :D


I did this, because I need to waste time, because the complete initialization of mono and CumulusMX needs some time.
My Startup script is much faster then the initialisation process. So in case, poeple are starting and checking immidiately with cumulusmx.sh -s they might get an error, that umulus is not running (because it is still starting)......that the reason for the animation.
Want to see your Station values on SSH? Cumulusnow http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14062
Want a Start|Stop|Restart Script for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13767

jank
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:57 pm
Weather Station: weatherstation
Operating System: Debian Wheezy
Location: Germany

Re: CumulusMX - Start|Stop|Restart Script - Dropbox Sync ?

Postby jank » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:10 pm

Today I had 15 minutes time and I checked the rclone command to sync files also with dropbox google drive and others.
I already have an option to backup the CumulusMX Folder with a WEBDAV supported Cloud Backup like Owncloud or Nextcloud.
The Difference between a Cloud Backup and Sync is, that the CloudBackup is creating a ZIP Archive before the Backup is being copied to the WEBDAV Cloud Drive.
Sync means, that the files will not be Archived in a ZIP file, but all active files in CumulusMX will be synced with Dropbox, Amaton S3, Google Drive and others.

Anyone interested having this Sync Option in the CumulusMX Startup Script ?
.....should not be so complicated and I already checked if the Login Credencials for the rclone - cloud servics can also be stored in the cumulusmxsh.conf ......instead of the rclone.conf ......and syncing with dropbox is very simple....
Want to see your Station values on SSH? Cumulusnow http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14062
Want a Start|Stop|Restart Script for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13767

BigOkie
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:06 am
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Raspian Jessie
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: CumulusMX - Start|Stop|Restart Script - Dropbox Sync ?

Postby BigOkie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:22 pm

jank wrote:Today I had 15 minutes time and I checked the rclone command to sync files also with dropbox google drive and others.
I already have an option to backup the CumulusMX Folder with a WEBDAV supported Cloud Backup like Owncloud or Nextcloud.
The Difference between a Cloud Backup and Sync is, that the CloudBackup is creating a ZIP Archive before the Backup is being copied to the WEBDAV Cloud Drive.
Sync means, that the files will not be Archived in a ZIP file, but all active files in CumulusMX will be synced with Dropbox, Amaton S3, Google Drive and others.

Anyone interested having this Sync Option in the CumulusMX Startup Script ?
.....should not be so complicated and I already checked if the Login Credencials for the rclone - cloud servics can also be stored in the cumulusmxsh.conf ......instead of the rclone.conf ......and syncing with dropbox is very simple....


I'd be interested in the rclone option however it's not something I'd need right away as I currently run it on a weekly schedule (since my Davis reporting interval is 5 minutes, the most my logger will hold is 8.8 days, hence using the 7 day rotation).

I'd call it a 'nice to have' for me. Maybe others would like it.

User avatar
VTHokie74
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:58 am
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian
Location: Ashland, KY

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby VTHokie74 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:46 pm

I have Dropbox but the amount of free storage space is limited. I think Google Drive gives 50 GB of storage free as does Microsoft One Drive.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3

BigOkie
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:06 am
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Raspian Jessie
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby BigOkie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:05 pm

VTHokie74 wrote:I have Dropbox but the amount of free storage space is limited. I think Google Drive gives 50 GB of storage free as does Microsoft One Drive.


Google Drive gives 15gigs free and it's shared between Drive and your email storage. I broke down and spend the 2 dollars a month for 100gb storage. OneDrive used to be 25gb free but they ended that in July. I used to use them exclusively. I believe the new free number for OneDrive is 5gb...just like Dropbox.

User avatar
VTHokie74
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:58 am
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian
Location: Ashland, KY

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby VTHokie74 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:52 pm

You are correct. Google Drive is 15GB free. I was thinking of iCloud. I pay 0.99 US per month for 50 GB on iCloud.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3

jank
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:57 pm
Weather Station: weatherstation
Operating System: Debian Wheezy
Location: Germany

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby jank » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:38 am

We here are all a little bit paranoid :D Sicne I don't like that the NSA is able to see my weather data (hihi) I don't use dropbox or any other external Cloud service for my data. Of course, if have an account with more or less all of them (free account) but I am using Owncloud/NextCloud hosted in my own network....and nextcloud works with WEBDAV (which is already implemented in this script). I am using a BananaPi with a 2 TB Harddisk (2,5") and thats my Cloud. Anyway, I am currently syncing my CumulusMX each hour and Backup each day. Sync is being done with rsync to a NAS, but It is maybe a good idea to make it possible to sync with Box, OneDrive,Dropbox or Google, since most of the people have such an account.
So I will start trying to implement it ....will be a good excersize for me.
Want to see your Station values on SSH? Cumulusnow http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14062
Want a Start|Stop|Restart Script for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13767

fonixmunkee
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:54 am
Weather Station: WS-1080
Operating System: RapsberryPi-Cumulus MX
Location: Wisconsin

Re: CumulusMX - RasperryPi - Start|Stop|Restart Script V2.5.3.0

Postby fonixmunkee » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:43 pm

Just started playing around with Cumulus MX and this script is a life-saver. Thank you very much!


Return to “Cumulus MX”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests