Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX, RPI and Vantagepro2 on tcpip

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

philipgm
Weather Station: WeatherDuino
Operating System: RaspberryPi

CumulusMX, RPI and Vantagepro2 on tcpip

Post by philipgm »

I have CumulusMX running on the Raspberrypi using the USB connection to the Vantagepro2. Works very well.
But I tried to connect via the tcpip connection and this is where things dont work well. The connection is made and then
data is only updated from the station every few minutes.
Attached is the file.
Thank you
Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: CumulusMX, RPI and Vantagepro2 on tcpip

Post by steve »

Someone else is having the same problem - https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14010

I had thought that reading data from a WLIP was working OK for some people, but looking back through the threads, it seems there were issues and I did some changes to attempt to improve communication, but I don't think I had any feedback subsequently. I think it's some kind of timing issue, as apparently TCP/IP works fine with Virtual VP.

If you stop MX and edit Cumulus.ini to set debug logging and data logging, the output to the diags file may be of some help.

Can you clarify whether this is a different VP2, or the same VP2 but you are swapping the USB logger for an IP logger?
Steve
philipgm

Post by philipgm »

Thanks Steve. Using the same VP and swapping the loggers. I will setup the logger and see what we get. Cheers. Philip
philipgm

Post by philipgm »

Here are the new files. after more testing still no go.
Cheers
Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It doesn't seem to be logging the loop data, did you turn on both debug logging and data logging? It would be useful if you could turn them both on by editing Cumulus.ini so that they are on from the start.

But I may need to add further logging anyway. I suspect it's going to take quite a bit of sorting out - the fact that I don't have a WLIP makes it much harder.

Could you try something, please? With Cumulus stopped, edit Cumulus.ini and add a line to the [Station] section:

DavisIPResponseTime=1000

If that doesn't help, try setting it to 2000 instead. What seems to be happening is that the response to commands is taking longer than MX expects, so it gets out of step - each response is to the previous command. The setting in Cumulus.ini makes it wait longer.
Steve
philipgm

Post by philipgm »

Ah great. The
DavisIPResponseTime=1000
Seems to have done the trick. Well maybe I spoke too soon.
When I changed it to 2000 it stopped working at all.
Seems to work most of the time set at 1000.
I can't see in Cumulus.ini where I turn the debug on
Cheers
Philip
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

philipgm wrote:I can't see in Cumulus.ini where I turn the debug on
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... ng#p105711
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

There are also instructions in this post - Beta testing - PLEASE READ

If you could turn on the debug and data logging, and set the response time to 1000, then let me have the diags file after it's been running for say an hour, please.

I'm not sure why it stops altogether at 2000 - there may be a sweet spot somewhere just over 1000, if 1000 is working most of the time.
Steve