Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Twitter on Pi stopped after update

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

DaveStLou
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspbian

Twitter on Pi stopped after update

Post by DaveStLou »

I updated to build 3026 today on my RPi and now my hourly tweet has stopped working. Is there a log some place that I can see what stopped working. Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Twitter on Pi stopped after update

Post by steve »

Turn on debug logging (in the station settings) and Twitter updates will be logged to the MXdiags file.
Steve
DaveStLou

Post by DaveStLou »

I turned on debug logging and reviewed the file and let it run for 24 hours. I see no reference to Twitter in the log.

I double checked that Twitter is enabled (set for every 60 minutes), re-entered the password and checked my twitter.txt still exists. I even ran the process to download the trusted root certificates which didn't seem likely but no tweets.

What am I missing?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If you zip up the latest MXdiags file and attach it, I'll see if I can see anything. Have you tried just restarting MX?
Steve
DaveStLou

Post by DaveStLou »

Here you go. Thanks for taking a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It seems to be doing the CWOP updates OK, and the Twitter update would be the next thing it would do (on the hour only), but as you say, there's no sign of it attempting that. If you definitely have the settings correct, I think I will need to see your Twitter settings section from Cumulus.ini - this does mean I would be able to see your password, of course. If you're happy with this, copy the [Twitter] section from Cumulus.ini and send it to me in a private message. While you're doing that, check that there is only one [Twitter] section in the file.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've used your settings, and posted two test updates. I don't know why the same settings don't work for you. The Twitter code didn't change in build 3026, so I don't think it's anything to do with that. All I can think of is that something is happening in the system code when it tries to do the update which is causing the thread to crash silently. You could try rebooting the Pi, and if that doesn't help, try removing/renaming your twitter.txt file temporarily, to see if the built-in tweet works.
Steve
DaveStLou

Post by DaveStLou »

I've tried both of your suggestions - still no tweets. I tried unchecking the Twitter box, saving and then rechecking and saving. I tried unchecking send location but no tweets. Nothing is showing up in the logs either.

Any other ideas?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You could try turning off your CWOP update temporarily, as that's the last thing that it does before updating Twitter. Unfortunately I can't tell whether it's not attempting to do the update for some reason, or it's failing silently before it gets to the point where Cumulus logs a debug message. I'll add more debug messages to the next build.

Something else you could look at is the wxnow.txt file which Cumulus updates once a minute - it has the date and time on the first line, so that should always be current. Check that it's updating, particularly after a CWOP update, and on the hour when a Twitter update should have taken place.
Steve
DaveStLou

Post by DaveStLou »

I'll try the CWOP idea and confirm wxnow.txt is current on the hour over the weekend.
DaveStLou

Post by DaveStLou »

I'm seeing this error logged in over SSH:

Could not load signature of LinqToTwitter.AuthorizerBase:GetAuthorizationString due to: Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies.
Could not load signature of LinqToTwitter.IAuthorizer:GetAuthorizationString due to: Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies.

Also wxnow.txt stopped updating about 30 minutes after I turned off CWOP updating.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

How did you do the update to version 3026 - did you unzip into an existing installation, or did you unzip to a new directory and then copy your data etc over? What version were you using previously?

When do you see those errors that you've mentioned, when Cumulus starts, on the hour when it attempts to update Twitter...?
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Did you try removing/renaming your twitter.txt file, to see if the built-in tweet works?
Steve
DaveStLou

Post by DaveStLou »

I updated from 3025 by unzipping over an existing installation. It appears when it is scheduled to update Twitter. I reproduced the error by increasing Twitter update frequency to 5 minutes.

When it occurs, wxnow.txt misses updating for that minute. It resumes updating the next minute.

I forgot to report that I tried renaming the file but it didn't tweet.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Could you please show me the output from this command:

gacutil -l | grep Http

Do you have a System.Net.Http.dll in your MX directory?
Steve