Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MX 3043 Issues

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

vagos
Weather Station: WS3083 Aercus Instruments
Operating System: Win10 + Rasrpian (Rpi1)

MX 3043 Issues

Post by vagos »

Dear all,

Just installed both MX and stable cummulus on my win10 pc.

They are both great but since I would like to report my WS with a RP1 the MX is the only solution to go forward.
I would firstly like to solve all my issues with the PC version before I proceed with my poor knowledge on Linux

Issues with PC:

1) While I can connect remotely to web interface with DDNS, the dashboard says "Connection Closed..." and no data are displayed on the gauges

2) The software reports UV index 16 and Light 110W/m2 while the station AND Stable Cumulus Software were reporting 0 rad almost zero light.
Is this a common issue? I coudn't manage to find a similar issue.

Suggestions: Please add password on remote web interface since anybody can change your data and station values.

Thank you in advance for this wonderful software.

Vagelis

PS: My WS https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IATHENS19
Last edited by vagos on Sat 28 Jan 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: MX 3042 Issues

Post by steve »

vagos wrote:1) While I can connect remotely to web interface with DDNS, the dashboard says "Connection Closed..." and no data are displayed on the gauges
Have you opened and forwarded the required ports? The dashboard uses web sockets by default, which uses port 8002, as mentioned in the MX FAQ.
2) The software reports UV index 16 and Light 110W/m2 while the station AND Stable Cumulus Software were reporting 0 rad almost zero light.
Have you selected the correct station type - Fine Offset with solar sensors? If so, turn on debug logging and data logging and upload the latest MXdiags file after it's been running for a few minutes with the logging turned on.
Suggestions: Please add password on remote web interface since anybody can change your data and station values.
This is non-trivial and not something I intend to spend any of my limited time on. The user interface is not intended to be used in an environment where "anybody" can access it. If you want to use it that way, I'm afraid it's up to you to make it secure.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Please also note that there is a known issue with build 3042 regarding web file processing, you should install build 3043 as soon as convenient. I am unable to properly support builds other than the latest.
Steve
vagos

Post by vagos »

steve wrote:
vagos wrote:1) While I can connect remotely to web interface with DDNS, the dashboard says "Connection Closed..." and no data are displayed on the gauges
Have you opened and forwarded the required ports? The dashboard uses web sockets by default, which uses port 8002, as mentioned in the MX FAQ.

Done the particular 8002 port was closed. Many thanks
Have you selected the correct station type - Fine Offset with solar sensors? If so, turn on debug logging and data logging and upload the latest MXdiags file after it's been running for a few minutes with the logging turned on.

I have uploaded the logs and activated debug logging.
I have noticed that also tries to connect to FTP although is off.

Rain Gauge corrects faulty readings etc.

This is non-trivial and not something I intend to spend any of my limited time on. The user interface is not intended to be used in an environment where "anybody" can access it. If you want to use it that way, I'm afraid it's up to you to make it secure.

Could i please ask a huge favor? My knowledge on Rasbian is very limited. Is there a noob guide for installing MX?
I have installed 2017-01-11-raspbian-jessie-lite.
I have them installed mono (took a lot of time to install)
and now i'm stuck.

If its easy for you, is it possible to get the commands for the putty? (ssh)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Re: MX 3043 Issues

Post by steve »

In the very last reading in the latest diags file, this is the data returned:

2017-01-28 21:25:19.583 Data read - 1C-27-DC-00-4D-35-00-9D-27-00-00-00-02-22-00-00-00-00-00-00-1E-26-D7-00-2C-B6-00-A5-27-00-00-00

The lux value and UV value are both zero, so that's what MX should currently be displaying - is it not doing that?

The instructions for installing MX are in the post containing the download - what is it that you don't understand? I can't supply any more instructions because I don't know any.

It's trying to extablish the realtime ftp connection, so presumably you have that (realtime ftp) enabled?
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The spikes in your data are because the console isn't returning the correct block of data, e.g.:

2017-01-28 20:28:00.380 Latest reading: 0268: 55 AA FF FF FF FF 17 01 28 11 11 17 01 28 11 13

That looks like the first few bytes of memory rather than the correct data location, so you have some kind of communication issue. You're not trying to run some other software at the same time?
Steve
vagos

Post by vagos »

Software like? I have tried to run simultaneously Cumulus Stable (successfully) but not in the past few hours.
Let me recheck after restarting the pc at some point.

Regarding the installation on RPi 1

1) Installation of 2017-01-11-raspbian-jessie-lite //Done

2) Running putty from my Desktop //Done

3)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

4) Checking version (Installed mono version 4.0.2.5 (with sudo mono -V))

5)
Copied to the sd card the folder from the download page with the CumulusMx.exe

6)
sudo mono CumulusMX.exe

No luck after that. No such file or directory.

I would like to thank you again for your immediate response and efforts.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

vagos wrote:Software like?
Any software which connects to the station.
I have tried to run simultaneously Cumulus Stable (successfully)
That's guaranteed to cause problems. Please read the instructions and the MX FAQ.

sudo mono CumulusMX.exe

Did you change to the directory containing the CumulusMX.exe file?

If you are not prepared to read the instructions, you are wasting everyone's time including your own.
Steve
vagos

Post by vagos »

steve wrote:
vagos wrote:Software like?
Any software which connects to the station.
I have tried to run simultaneously Cumulus Stable (successfully)
That's guaranteed to cause problems. Please tead the instructions and the MX FAQ.

Yes I'm aware of that, I have already mentioned that I'm no longer connected hours before the errors came up.
sudo mono CumulusMX.exe

Did you change to the directory containing the CumulusMX.exe file?

If you are not prepared to read the instructions, you are wasting everyone's time including your own.
I have pasted the files inside the main directory without any folders in between.
As I have mentioned before my knowledge is seriously limited on linux.
I dont even know how to select folders, that why I had pasted them in the main directory.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The command to change directory is 'cd' just as in Windows. It looks like everything else you've done so far is fine, you just need to change to the Cumulus MX directory.

There is a lot of useful information for newcomers to Linux on the Raspberry Pi site, here's the page describing some command commands, for example - https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ommands.md

The Raspberry Pi is an educational tool, it's not a drop-in replacement for a Windows desktop. You have quite a learning experience ahead of you - enjoy it!
Steve
vagos

Post by vagos »

Thank you Steve,

With your help and some general search over various site I have managed to finally run it.

Everything seems fine but I still have some questions.

1) If I close Putty it automatically closes the session, is there a way to avoid that? Do I need a screen for the Rpi just to initiate the program?

2) In the event of a power failure, is there a way to auto initialize the session?

3) Is there an efficient way to (auto) extract sensor data via either dashboard or directly via Rpi?

Since there is no rush now I'll try to enhance my knowledge around.

Thanks again
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

vagos wrote: 1) If I close Putty it automatically closes the session, is there a way to avoid that? Do I need a screen for the Rpi just to initiate the program?
From PuTTY

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install screen
screen -S Cumulus
# Start CumulusMX
<CTRL>a d
To see CumulusMX again

screen -r Cumulus
Once you have this in place I can tell you how I've solved "auto initialize"
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

vagos wrote:3) Is there an efficient way to (auto) extract sensor data via either dashboard or directly via Rpi?
Can you explain what you mean by this?
Steve
vagos

Post by vagos »

rogerthn wrote:
vagos wrote: 1) If I close Putty it automatically closes the session, is there a way to avoid that? Do I need a screen for the Rpi just to initiate the program?
From PuTTY

sudo apt-get install screen
screen -S Cumulus
# Start CumulusMX
<CTRL>a d
To see CumulusMX again

screen -r Cumulus
Once you have this in place I can tell you how I've solved "auto initialize"
Done!!!, is there a way to identify if I have successfully managed to create a new screen? If I press Ctrl+A+D there is no notification. It just works.

I have also recovered the screen after restarting putty. Many thanks for your support.

Now about the auto initialization and running the software.

My usual process is

cd ..
cd ..
cd boot
sudo mono CumulusMX.exe

Is there an easier way of running the soft with fewer typing? Like to create a batch like in DOS?
What about autorecovery after power outage?

Thanks again.
steve wrote:
vagos wrote:3) Is there an efficient way to (auto) extract sensor data via either dashboard or directly via Rpi?
Can you explain what you mean by this?
Is there a way to auto export data in csv, xls or another format via cumulus dashboard? I'm probably missing something. Sorry if there is already the answer somewhere.

Thank you both for your ongoing support.

Vagelis
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

vagos wrote:cd ..
cd ..
cd boot
sudo mono CumulusMX.exe
I'm not a Linux expert, but I suspect that /boot is not a good place to have Cumulus. It's an operating system directory, used by the bootloader. Most people (I assume) have MX in /home/pi/CumulusMX or similar, i.e. under the home directory of the 'pi' user - assuming that's the user you are logging in with.
Is there a way to auto export data in csv, xls or another format via cumulus dashboard? I'm probably missing something. Sorry if there is already the answer somewhere.
Cumulus doesn't have any export facilities; it's data logs are already in CSV format. Alternatively, you can get it to update a MySQL database.
Steve