Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus MX crashes on new Windows 10 box

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Banker
Weather Station: Davis VP w/24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro

Cumulus MX crashes on new Windows 10 box

Post by Banker »

Had to replace the pc which has been running 1.9.4 for years with a new box. I've got 3.0 running now, but it seems to crash every few minutes. It appears as follows:

17:32:54 Normal running
System.IO.IOException: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at CumulusMX.DavisStation.SendLoopCommand(TcpClient tcpPort, String commandString) in C:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 766
at CumulusMX.DavisStation.Start() in C:\Users\steve\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CumulusMX\CumulusMX\DavisStation.cs:line 575
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
**** An error has occurred - please zip up the MXdiags folder and post it in the forum ****
Press Enter to terminate

I've also attached the MXdiags in a zip file in the hopes that someone can help me figure out what is going wrong.

Thanks!

-Mark
20170212-173239.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus MX crashes on new Windows 10 box

Post by steve »

The logger, or something between the logger and Cumulus, is closing the connection. A number of people have similar problems with their system. MX currently does not handle the remote end forcibly disconnecting. Until such time as it does, your best bet is to investigate the cause of the disconnects, if you can.
Steve
Banker

Post by Banker »

Is there a way to run MX as a service? We could then set the failure action to restart when this occurs.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I would imagine so, using one of the utilities which allow command line programs to run as a service.
Steve
Banker

Post by Banker »

I temporarily (I hope) switched back to 1.9.4.

Here are the steps that I've tried. Only to show that I do have a little experience with this sort of thing, I'm a network engineer and C.T.O. for a company.

I started by doing a firmware update on the Davis IP logger and then on the station that it's connected to. Both were out of date by several versions. Next, I logged into the switch that sits between the Davis IP logger and the Windows 10 workstation. It's an HP ProCurve managed switch and has several security features enabled. I removed loop detection and mitigation from the two ports involved. I also removed broadcast storm protection, despite knowing that we're not using broadcasts. None of these steps had any effect on the problem.

I created a windows service to run CumulusMX, configured it and started the service after a reboot. This also had no effect on the issue. I considered setting up WireShark to do a packet capture, but haven't had the time for this yet.

I have wondered if any specific IIS features need to be enabled on the workstation.

I love Cumulus and would really like to use the MX version. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for your time!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I think the Wireshark capture is the way to go, that will show what MX is sending to the logger and should confirm that the logger is forcibly disconnecting, and hopefully show why it's doing that.

Do you get the same problem if you turn off periodic disconnects? And/or turn off the logger uploads to weatherlink.com? It could be that when MX reconnects, the logger is still uploading, and perhaps it accepts the connection but then immediately disconnects.
Steve
Banker

Post by Banker »

:oops: Hadn't thought about the WeatherLink uploads being part of the problem. I've turned that off and will test the results.

WireShark will have to continue to wait a bit until I get some time to dedicate. I'll let you know the results.
Banker

Post by Banker »

It was the WeatherLink uploads.

Thanks for helping me figure it out! MX is now running nicely.