Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Incredibly Worrying - Code On Website Is Hacker Friendly

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Grimers
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit

Incredibly Worrying - Code On Website Is Hacker Friendly

Post by Grimers »

Hi Steve,

This is something that I need to bring to your attention. I have been in contact with 123 reg recently regarding frequent periods of loss of service with my website. 123 reg has told me this: "I am sorry for all your troubles, however the security of the website falls under your responsibility. We are responsible for the security of the hosting package, you are responsible for the security of the website. The hack was possible as the website has vulnerabilities in its code that were exploited by 3rd parties to hack the website." Obviously, I am quite worried about it and also frustrated that my website is frequently going down because of this.

Do you have any idea on what could be causing this issue? I have tried to convince 123 reg that it is their problem as they host my website, but they said: "With this being said, I'm afraid that we cannot assist you further as we do not deal with website security issues." So, I am stuck because there's no one else but myself and them who is involved with the website.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

William
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Incredibly Worrying - Code On Website Is Hacker Friendly

Post by steve »

No idea, sorry. "the website has vulnerabilities in its code that were exploited by 3rd parties to hack the website" isn't very useful. Along with hundreds of other Cumulus users, I've been using the standard MX web site for a long time and never been hacked. Just lucky, I guess.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

One thought - one common thing that allows hackers in on shared hosting is having incorrect file permissions, which can in some circumstances allow other users (i.e.other 123-reg customers) on the same server to modify your files. Possibly some of the files or directories have permissions which are too "loose". Incorrect file permissions doesn't sound like "vulnerabilities in its code", though.

Without knowing the nature of the hack, it's going to be difficult for anyone here to offer any advice. And your post might have been better in the website section of the forum.
Steve
Grimers

Post by Grimers »

Thanks for your replies, Steve.

It's strange as some of the files aren't affected! Should I completely wipe the website clean and start from the scratch? Cumulus MX seems to be making no effort to upload the missing files even after a restart...

I've attached ftplog.txt. It seems like Cumulus MX is struggling to upload a lot of files...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's because you've got 'delete before upload' selected and the files don't exist on the server. The released code in MX stops if it can't delete the existing file. 'Delete before upload' is not a recommended setting anyway, it's only there for those rare (broken) ftp servers which won't overwrite existing files.

But yes, if you've been hacked (and it's still not clear to me from what you've said exactly what has happened, you should definitely delete all of your files, in my opinion.
Grimers

Post by Grimers »

Weird! I've deselected it and now the files are uploading! Thanks for your help!
Steepleian
Weather Station: WH2650
Operating System: Debian 9

Post by Steepleian »

Grimers wrote:Hi Steve,

This is something that I need to bring to your attention. I have been in contact with 123 reg recently regarding frequent periods of loss of service with my website. 123 reg has told me this: "I am sorry for all your troubles, however the security of the website falls under your responsibility. We are responsible for the security of the hosting package, you are responsible for the security of the website. The hack was possible as the website has vulnerabilities in its code that were exploited by 3rd parties to hack the website." Obviously, I am quite worried about it and also frustrated that my website is frequently going down because of this.

Do you have any idea on what could be causing this issue? I have tried to convince 123 reg that it is their problem as they host my website, but they said: "With this being said, I'm afraid that we cannot assist you further as we do not deal with website security issues." So, I am stuck because there's no one else but myself and them who is involved with the website.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

William
I have just been looking at 123's performance over the past year or two. They don't exactly have a fantastic record themselves on security etc. Maybe there is a bit of paranoia creeping in on their side. Do you have long to go on your contract as it maybe time to have a look round? Another alternative is to host yourself - its incredibly easy and using a RaspberryPi or an Intel NUC or similar low power device very light on the energy use.

Steepleian
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I bought my web address from 123 but I have never used them for hosting. For the last couple of years I've used the service Steve kindly provides and it's great. Click on the link in his signature.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

Steepleian wrote:Another alternative is to host yourself - its incredibly easy and using a RaspberryPi or an Intel NUC or similar low power device very light on the energy use.
Steepleian
I can second that!
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

Grimers

Post by Grimers »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yes, I have thought about hosting myself, would certainly need to look into it as I have very limited knowledge in that area. Steve, if I do leave 123 reg, would you be happy to host my website?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes,I offer hosting for anyone who uses Cumulus. Details are in a post in the announcement section.
Steve