Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Problems with uploading realtime.txt and realtimegauges.txt

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

jtatz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Mac OS and Win 10

Problems with uploading realtime.txt and realtimegauges.txt

Post by jtatz »

Hello,
I've been troubleshooting a problem that I've run into with FTPing the realtime.txt and realtimegauges.txt files. The other non-realtime files upload fine.

In the ftplog.txt I see:
2017-04-09 14:20:51.564 Uploading realtime.txt to Cumulus/realtime.txt
2017-04-09 14:20:51.566 Uploading web/realtimegauges.txt to Cumulus/realtimegauges.txt

However, when I turn on additional logging I see:
2017-04-09 14:23:51.570 Realtime ftp not connected - connecting
2017-04-09 14:23:51.571 Error connecting ftp - Connection refused
2017-04-09 14:23:51.573 Error uploading realtime.txt to Cumulus/realtime.txt : Connection refused
2017-04-09 14:23:51.575 Error uploading web/realtimegauges.txt to Cumulus/realtimegauges.txt : Connection refused

So here is some background:
I'm running MX v3.0.0 build 3043.
I know the FTP creds are good, I see the non-realtime stuff get uploaded successfully.
I've tried 2 different FTP servers. When I was using 1, with vsftpd, I could see an UPLOAD FAIL error, but it didn't really shed much light.
The FTP servers do allow upload of TXT files, I have confirmed this.
I've run MX on 2 different machines, both Mac OS.
Current machine is Mac OS 10.11.6
I've ruled out local firewall, since I can do FTP tests successfully, I don't think its an inline firewall (mine or ISP)

I do have Enable Realtime, Realtime.txt FTP and RealtimeGauges.txt FTP all checked.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Problems with uploading realtime.txt and realtimegauges.txt

Post by steve »

All I can suggest at the moment is to look at the server log to see why it is refusing the connection.
Steve
jtatz

Post by jtatz »

steve wrote:All I can suggest at the moment is to look at the server log to see why it is refusing the connection.

Other than the error, I don't even see anything to suggest that the connection is even attempted. I guess I could do a packet capture. I should see the connection attempt there - and maybe even the rejection message.

There is nothing in the ftplog.txt that's sheds any light. Should there be a realtime ftp log? I've seen older posts that talk about it. It doesn't exist.

What I can't figure out is, if the remote server is really refusing the connection, why can't I duplicate the issue? I login fine (multiple concurrent sessions) and the non-realtime ftp sessions work (even when set as low as one minute).

I'd be quick to blame the ftp server if I hadn't tried more than one.

Does the realtime ftp connection do something different than the periodic one?

Hmmmm.
Last edited by jtatz on Tue 11 Apr 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jtatz

Post by jtatz »

I'm at a loss.

It's working now. I haven't changed anything.
Something locked up (could have been unrelated to Cumulus), and I rebooted rather than mucking around more.

Turned on debug, data and FTP logging.............. and now I see it working normally.

I also see:
Testing connectivity using Socket.poll()...
which I didn't see before.