Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Web pages won't load

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Web pages won't load

Post by steve »

Most browsers on the Pi are very basic and not suitable for viewing things like the MX user interface. Do you have particular requirement for using a browser on the Pi rather than on your PC? Many people don't even run a graphical interface on the Pi at all.

There is no indication of an error while attempting an upload to PWS Weather. If you turn on debug logging, the uploads will be logged including the response from PWS Weather.

It's not a good idea to edit the Cumulus.ini file directly unless it's for a setting which can't be edited via the user interface. The realtimegauges.txt setting is configurable from the user interface, as are the vast majority of settings. It's a good idea to restart MX after changing a setting, as many of them require a restart to take effect.

Have you looked at the station settings page to make sure your settings are still correct for your station? You could also check that PWS Weather is still configured correctly.
Steve
hillyjd
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Linux

Post by hillyjd »

Update - I changed the USB port in the config file and, for reasons I cannot explain, the data is now getting sent to my PWS online weather. It must have somehow changed port numbers when I went to the powered USB connection. So, for the moment, two of my three problems are solved. The most important is that the data is getting online so my drip controller can see it. The config.ini problem is gone as well. I just cannot view the actual data.

r/
Jim
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

hillyjd wrote: I just cannot view the actual data
What browser are you using? As I've mentioned, most browsers on the Pi are very basic and not up to the job. Have you tried using Firefox or Chrome, for example, on your PC?
Steve
hillyjd

Post by hillyjd »

Steve,

When I was using Cumulus on my PC, it was all good. Display was fine, graphics were great and it posted to my PWS online fine. The ONLY reason I went to the RPi was to keep the weather station posting data to PWS online for my drip controller when we are away from home. We throw the PC in the safe (it's a VERY cool, very small new Intel NUC) when we are away. So in the big scheme of things, MX is doing what I need it to do. The graphics are gravy. I honestly don't think it's the RPi browser, it seems to work fine for everything else. But I guess it could be.

r/
Jim
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, the Pi is a great platform for running MX. It's not such a great platform for running a web browser. Your reasons for wanting to use a browser on the Pi aren't clear to me - could you explain? Have you actually tried opening the MX user interface running on the Pi from a browser on your PC? Do you not currently have access to any computer other than the Pi at the moment?
Steve
hillyjd

Post by hillyjd »

Steve - the only reason that I try to look at the web browser is to look at the real time gauges display. I enjoy the graphics - you did a great job with those. But as I said it's more important that the data gets to the PWS website so my drip controller can see the data. All that was working fine until 2 days ago when the data at my PWS account went stale again. I just noticed it today. I got the same errors as before; then I realized that I had gone back to the original .ini file which still had the realtime FTP enabled. So I went back in and turned those off:

[FTP site]
Host=
Port=21
Username=
Password=
Directory=
AutoUpdate=0
ActiveFTP=0
Sslftp=0
FTPlogging=0
UTF8encode=1
EnableRealtime=0
RealtimeFTPEnabled=0
RealtimeTxtFTP=0

And then restarted CumulusMX. So this will be the real test. If the data doesn't go stale, I'll stay with the RPi. If it does go stale, I'll switch to using Cumulus on my PC. Not sure how I can get the PC to see the RPi, but I'll give it a try.

r/
Jim
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

hillyjd wrote: And then restarted CumulusMX
To be clear, when you say restarted, do you mean that you stopped Cumulus to edit Cumulus.ini, and then started it again after the edit? You need to have a Cumulus stopped while doing the edit as otherwise it will overwrite most of the settings when you stop it.

To access the user interface on the Pi from a PC, put http://a.b.c.d:8998 into your browser, where a.b.c.d is the IP address of the Pi.
Steve
hillyjd

Post by hillyjd »

Steve - yes I exited Cumulus MX, made the changes to the .ini file and restarted. So far all is well on the PWS website. Updating nicely every 30 minutes. Historically it will hang up after 2 or 3 days. I will attempt to get the PC to view the RPi interface when I get home tonight. Not sure how to locate the a.b.c.d IP values. I've been using "localhost" when I used the RPi browser. And based on previous blogs, I changed the port to 9999 when I start the program. Thanks for all your help.

r/
Jim
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

hillyjd wrote: Not sure how to locate the a.b.c.d IP values.
Jim
From a command prompt, type ifconfig and look for the inet adr
hillyjd

Post by hillyjd »

Thanks - worked like a champ. My PC displays the data no problem. Here's the only weird thing (and at this point it's a "don't care") - after I got the displays working on my PC, I went back to the RPi and typed in the IP address and it showed all the graphics as well, but only one time. I closed out the browser, and then went back to it later on and it would only give me the blank browser page with no graphics. Oh well, seeing them on my PC is actually a bonus since I spend most of my computer time there.

Thanks for all the help.

r/
Jim
justnetguy
Weather Station: Davis Provantage 2
Operating System: Raspbian Jessie

Post by justnetguy »

Page loads without any weather data on Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Works OK with FF, Edge, and i.e.

Running Cumulus MX 3.0.0 b3041 on Rpi

any places to look?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

justnetguy wrote:Page loads without any weather data on Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Which pages - all of them, or just the Dashboard, Now, and Gauges pages? If just those three, then as described in the MX FAQ, for some reason web sockets aren't working with that browser.
Steve
justnetguy

Post by justnetguy »

Dashboard / Now / Gauges do not display any live data.

Everything else seems just fine.

Attached in cap from dashboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Then as described in the MX FAQ, for some reason web sockets aren't working with that browser.
Steve
justnetguy

Post by justnetguy »

Thanks Steve _ I will dig around - used to work on the same PC until Google updated Chrome. This websocket test site works fine. http://www.websocket.org/echo.html