Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

RaspberryPi at boot gives Weather Underground 0 reading for temp and others

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

cjsimmons
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH3081
Operating System: RPi 3 Zero W Jessie Lite

RaspberryPi at boot gives Weather Underground 0 reading for temp and others

Post by cjsimmons »

Hi guys,

I've just moved my weather station across from my Win10 install of v1.9.4 to MX on a RaspberryPi 3. I'm very happy with this setup and at how easy it was to install considering how very little Linux experience I have with Bash.

Moving on, I have everything up and running, CumulusMX starts at boot thanks to some wonderful scripts posted on this forum and I have managed to copy all existing data from my old server. To be honest, it was the simplest task in the world. Props to Steve for making this such a simple program to move around.

Anyway, I've noticed a little hiccup, and I don't know where to go from here. When the pi boots and Cumulus starts, WeatherUnderground gets a temp reading of 0, as with pressure and a few other values. These 0 values are not reflected on CumulusMX in the charts, so I have no idea where to go from here.

Any help would be great, or maybe I've missed a post on the forum here.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: RaspberryPi at boot gives Weather Underground 0 reading for temp and others

Post by steve »

It's probably doing a WU update before it's read any data - see the Known Issues/FAQ -https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12943
Some timer-based actions (e.g. data logging, graph plotting, realtime FTP and realtime SQL update) can happen before first data is read
Are you using 'rapid fire'? If you are, then turning that off may be a work around.
Steve
cjsimmons

Post by cjsimmons »

Thanks Steve for your reply. I guess I missed seeing that entry. I do indeed have rapid fire turned on.

Looks like it might be the issue. I'll have to do some more testing. I only picked this up today when I moved the weather station console from my old server to the pi, then again when I moved the console and pi to where they will live.

I've just had a router issue where wifi locked up, and I thought it was the pi, so I rebooted it a few times and the 0 values were not passed onto WU.

I'll disable rapid fire for now, and adjust the update interval to something much less than 15 minutes and see how it goes. I'll do a few forced reboots and see if it is still happening.

Do you have a proper fix for this "Known Issue" in the works? Would be good to be able to delay Internet uploads a minute or so so that Cumulus can gather data.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I can't remember whether I've written the code to fix this yet. Basically, I need to make it do the same as Cumulus 1. I'm afraid I'm far too busy with other things at the moment to have any chance of writing Cumulus code.
Steve
cjsimmons

Post by cjsimmons »

All good buddy. I hope you are not too busy that Cumulus become abandonware (Looking at the date of the last build). That would be very sad. :cry: This is such a great tool.

Anyway, disabling rapid fire seems to have fixed it for now. I'll keep an eye out. I had to reboot my pi and it didn't give false readings so that's a temporary win for now.

Thanks again. Looking forward to future updates to CumulusMX. :D