Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Testing CuMX FTP before connecting weather station

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

fractonimbus
Weather Station: WH1091
Operating System: Windows 7 on a Dell Vostro

Testing CuMX FTP before connecting weather station

Post by fractonimbus »

I've set up a Raspberry Pi 3 to run CumulusMX headless on Ubuntu-Mate. It boots CuMX on startup nicely and I can SSH to the RPi and connect to the CuMX console via browser (port 8998).

I don't yet have a weather station at my current location (I've been using Cumulus on Windows 7 at home base, 24/7 since 2011 - incredibly reliable).

I have set up my default FTP details, but nothing is being uploaded. I'd like to test that FTYP is working OK. It appear that unless CuMX sees a weather station, it won't FTP (empty) pages to my weather site. Is that correct?

DN
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Testing CuMX FTP before connecting weather station

Post by steve »

Yes, that's correct, it won't do much at all unless it detects a weather station.

What you could do is what I do for testing, as I no longer have any fully functioning stations, and create a dummy easyweather.dat file and set the weather station type to read that.

http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/EasyWeather_Format
Steve
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

Thanks, I'll give that a go.
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

OK, I've created a single line dummy EasyWeather.dat file. It's not obvious where I put this nor how I get MX to read it and import it. Help, please!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You can put it anywhere you want. With MX you have to edit Cumulus.ini to set the location of the file. The entry is "EWFile" in the [Station] section, and you need to supply the full path and file name. You also need to set the reading interval using the EWInterval setting (set it to 1 for it read once a minute). While you're in there, you can set the station type, set Type=4 in the [Station] section. Then start MX.

I can't remember whether it takes the first reading from the file or whether it watches for the timestamp changing first (as described in the wiki entry) so you may need to edit the file to change the timestamp once MX is running.
Steve
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

Thanks! That worked. It did indeed watch for the updating of EasyWeather.dat The screen is now populated, and (nearly all of) the files have been FTP'd to my weather site.

The htm files were uploaded and the realtime files, but no stylesheet file (weatherstyle.css). I uploaded it manually and everything looks beautiful :D What might have stopped the css file being uploaded for the first time?

DN
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

Also, does the moon image not get uploaded in CuMX as it was in Cumulus 1? Also, no gauges have appeared. Still checking what's working. Most is, but several of the .js files weren't uploaded. DN
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

MX doesn't upload the css file, nor any .js files. You do that once yourself, manually, just as with Cumulus 1. It has no static image files, so no moon image. The gauges and graphs are not the same as in Cumulus 1. You need to read the documentation ;)
Steve
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

Ah, OK, it has been six years since I installed Cu 1. I have never needed to reinstall it, neither on the PC nor on the website (too damn reliable! :D ) Thanks.
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

Nothing quite like RTFM :) That's working beautifully now. All ready for the weather station. Thanks, DN (and time for another donation, I think!)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thanks.
Steve