Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Help - Windows 10 has murdered Cumulus.

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

scanman
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Help - Windows 10 has murdered Cumulus.

Post by scanman »

Windows 10 has just performed one of its updates, and now Cumulus MX won't work. This is what it shows me when I try to start Cumulus up. Any clever people here know what I need to do to fix it?
help.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Help - Windows 10 has murdered Cumulus.

Post by steve »

That looks like you're not running it as administrator?
Steve
scanman

Post by scanman »

Hi Steve. That was what I thought, but that is what I get, even though I am trying to run it as an Administrator. It all worked fine until the latest Windows 10 update.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'll give it a try myself tomorrow, I think I got the update today.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Just tried it and it works OK for me. Don't know what to suggest, sorry.
Steve
scanman

Post by scanman »

Tried a new install, with the same result. Looks like Windows 10 update may have introduced compatability issues with CumulusMX?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

For you but apparently for no-one else? I'm completely up to date with Windows 10 updates and it works fine for me, both when right-clicking and selecting 'run as administrator' and when running from an administrator command prompt.
Steve
scanman

Post by scanman »

Steve, you might be right in that the problem lies with my machine - but all I know is that Cumulus was working absolutely fine until Windows 10 forced an update - since then I just cannot get Cumulus to work at all. Unfortunately, I am not terribly good with computers, but this latest update from Microsoft has killed Cumulus completely and I haven't the foggiest idea what it has done or how to remedy it. I had hoped that a completely new install might sort it out, in case a file had become corrupted during the forced update, but I still keep getting the error. Curiously, Cumulus 1 is still working, but I really don't want to have to roll back as that would mean re-configuring my web-site again, which I do not have the time to do.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cumulus 1 doesn't use a browser connection for its user interface; it's when MX tries to open the http interface so that a browser can connect that you are getting an error which says that you do not have permission to do that. Microsoft decided that you have to use administrator privilege to do that, or use the netsh command to allow a program not running as administrator to do it.

Can you confirm that you haven't at some point used the netsh command as described in the MX instructions, and that you run MX by right-clicking on CumulusMX.exe and selecting 'Run as administrator', after which you get a prompt which asks you if you want to allow an app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?
Steve
scanman

Post by scanman »

Hi Steve - I don't know what the netsh command is, so I assume I have never used it. In launching the program, I right click on the program to start it, and select run as administartor. Windows then gives me a message asking me if I want to run the program and I select yes. All this I used to do no problems, but since the Windows update, instead of the usual blurb showing up in the Dos window, it gives me the error message I posted at the start of this thread. Even new install throws up the same error message. I am totally stumped.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Try this:

Right click on a Command Prompt and select 'Run as administrator'. If you don't know how to find Command Prompt, it should be under 'Windows System' on your start menu. Then type:

netsh http add urlacl url=http://*:8998/ user=\users

Then try to start MX.
Steve
scanman

Post by scanman »

So it says at the command prompt that the URL reservation was successfully added, but I still get the error message when I try to launch Cumulus.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

That does seem to suggest that the problem is not lack of privilege. Try running MX on a different port. Using your administrator command prompt, change to the folder containing CumulusMX.exe and type:

CumulusMX.exe -port 28998
Steve
scanman

Post by scanman »

Hi Steve - I appreciate all your help. Unfortunately, changing the port as you suggested still gives me the same error message. :cry:
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Or perhaps someone else will be able to suggest something.
Steve