Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Serial port failure

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

StormCapture
Weather Station: Davis Pro 2 Plus / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Serial port failure

Post by StormCapture »

HI Steve,

Woke up to find my station had been 'flatlining' and went to see what the Pi was showing was a bunch of errors (see Diag folder), Via WU it stopped around 3:30PM 28th June (Adelaide, Australia, CST Time)

Could this be the fact its not plugged into the USB port on the Pi itself as I have the Pro 2 connected to a USB Hub that is powered via a powerpoint cable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Serial port failure

Post by steve »

Something caused the connection to the station to be lost - MX does not currently recover from this. Using a powered hub is probably better than connecting directly to the Pi USB ports, so I don't know what to suggest regarding the problem. Could there have been an outage of the power to the hub?

I see that you are getting error messages regarding WU uploads, but Mono isn't giving any useful information to help diagnose that.

In common with some others, you have a lot of error messages regarding the realtimegauges.txt upload, because of a mistake I made in the latest build, making the upload turned on by default. Anyone not uploading to a web site will get the error messages, it would be a good idea to turn off the realtimegauges settings on the internet settings screen.
Steve
bab5871
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
Operating System: Raspbian RPi3

Post by bab5871 »

Mine still does this with USB too. Really annoying in that it either keeps uploading the same value to WU so I never know it's down to reboot it. Only time I notice is when WU says I haven't reported in a while or CWOP says my data is WAY off. It would be great if there was a way to either stop uploading or restart it automatically.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I think someone has written a script to restart MX when data input stops, but I can't remember the details.
Steve
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

steve wrote:I think someone has written a script to restart MX when data input stops, but I can't remember the details.
Yeah, that would be me and it's the following topic:

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=15574
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thought it was you but didn't want to incriminate you ;)
Steve