Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Major PC crash

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Major PC crash

Post by Mapantz »

To cut a long story short, we have workman in doing the bathroom, and there was a major electrical fault. All power went off, when it came back on, my PC bluescreened and rebooted. After it had rebooted, the mouse cursor wasn't working, so I couldn't navigate anywhere! I tried every setting via keyboard shortcuts etc, nothing! I couldn't even do a system restore, because it was all turned off for some reason, and I had no previous installation points. In the end, I had to reinstall windows, but keep my old data. I'm now back up and running, but MX has failed to log the data that the station kept while I had these problems. I checked the diags, and there's a ton of archives being read, right back to the 8th July - Not sure what that's about? Anyway, it shows all the intervals being read, right up until I got up and running again, but it hasn't logged anything in the Jul17log.txt - it ended at 10:30am when the power went out, and started again at 14:30

It's not a massive deal, I have just missed 4 hours of data, but I also don't have any lows for today, as it assumed it all started at 14:30 :(

Kind regards.
20170725-141725.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Major PC crash

Post by steve »

The reason the station sent all that old data is that you apparently have the station logger and the Cumulus log interval set to different values. The station is apparently set to 10 minutes, and it looks like Cumulus might be set to 1 minute?

I can't tell you why you have a gap in your data from that diags file, because it looks like you closed Cumulus down at about 14:12 and then this run was at 14:17, so with a log interval of 10 minutes there wouldn't have been any archive data to download, so it all worked correctly. The required information would be in the diags file from when you first started Cumulus after the outage.
Steve
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: Major PC crash

Post by Mapantz »

steve wrote:The reason the station sent all that old data is that you apparently have the station logger and the Cumulus log interval set to different values. The station is apparently set to 10 minutes, and it looks like Cumulus might be set to 1 minute?

I can't tell you why you have a gap in your data from that diags file, because it looks like you closed Cumulus down at about 14:12 and then this run was at 14:17, so with a log interval of 10 minutes there wouldn't have been any archive data to download, so it all worked correctly. The required information would be in the diags file from when you first started Cumulus after the outage.
Thanks Steve. I managed to edit the today file with the lows for temps/derived temps, from the lows on my console. As for the logging interval, Cumulus is set to 10 mins, the same as the station. I think what happened there, was that I forgot to put back my Cumulus.ini with all the settings in, I didn't realise, so it may have been set at 1 minute when I first ran MX, I then realised, and closed MX down after the archiving finished, and put back my settings. :oops: Four hours of data missing in the Jul17log is not worth worrying over, it was the disaster with the PC that caused the biggest headache. Anyway, everything is stable and uploading, thankfully.