Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New to Cumulus trying to install on Rpi advice needed please

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

M6YHW-ROB
Weather Station: W-8681 MkII
Operating System: Rasperry Pi Cumulus MX

Re: New to Cumulus trying to install on Rpi advice needed please

Post by M6YHW-ROB »

thanks paul and yes thats what i meant.
I'm still learning pi and don't know php so may have to leave the banner etc.

I have everything running great but don't like the standard template and want to change to a more techie mondern look.
i have looked at the forums but can't seem to find how you change it for a different theme etc.
like i said very new to all this and trying to do it all myself but the template / themes have me stumped.

lol

thanks rob
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I am mainly still running Cumulus 1 and do not know anything about the Rpi but if there is anything I could help on website template, I am an expert on cut and paste, trial and error ;)

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

M6YHW-ROB

Post by M6YHW-ROB »

:D :D :D :D
Love I'm the same cut n paste but slowly learning.
I can't get my head round how you swap a template so you have a different background and gauges etc.
if it had been like a wordpress theme then i woukd have had it done now lol
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

The key point is that Cumulus (1 and MX) output a large range of web tags enabling anyone to decide what to include on a web page and how it should look, in fact a very old post on this forum https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... p=363#p363 reveals that Mrs Loft created the web pages with Dreamweaver for Steve Loft, at that time he said
They exist because they're our web pages, and they're really only included with Cumulus as examples of how the web tags work. It never occurred to me that most people would simply use the supplied examples instead of creating their own pages!
The Wiki has an article at http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Website_setup written for Cumulus 1 (linked to further articles) intended to help people who want to start with the standard web pages and later experiment with changes to, or replacement of, those standard web pages. The articles are a bit of a compromise as they seek to, help both people who know very little about coding web pages, and also help those who know quite a bit and just want pointers for the Cumulus context.

I'll try to edit some of that Wiki to also cover MX next, but I don't actually use MX, so I'm unsure how much I can do. I'm sure people more expert than me will help if you come up with specific queries.

The Downloads link in the blue header section above includes links to some of the older alternative web page sets if you don't want to do your own programming, and there are parts of this forum with discussions about various newer free templates that others have designed, some as simple as just changing background, others work on a modular basis to give you access to lots of information on a single web page. Again if you can suggest the sort of look you want, people who monitor this forum may be able to help you achieve it.
M6YHW-ROB

Post by M6YHW-ROB »

thanks I'm looking for something similar to the cumulusmx windows view black or dark grey control panel etc
M6YHW-ROB

Post by M6YHW-ROB »

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

It's not a good idea to expose your MX interface to the internet like that, anyone can see (and change) your settings.
Steve
M6YHW-ROB

Post by M6YHW-ROB »

thats not mine found it on google and just an example Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Oh, right!
Steve
sfws

Post by sfws »

As Steve says you don't want to use the MX interface screen, what you want is to edit the current web pages for a different look. If you just want the black or dark grey look, then the look is defined by what is in the CSS file used, and so that is all you really need to alter.
To get the alternating colour backgrounds, the CSS selectors are quite simple:

Code: Select all

table tr.odd  { background-color: #4f4f4f; }
table tr.even { background-color: #3f3f3f; }
I suggest you create a new CSS file based on weatherstyle.css, but with another name, take out all the selectors that include background-color in their properties and put those 2 new selectors in instead. I have quoted the colours that Steve uses on his interface screen, but you can do a web search to find web safe colours and pick different shades if they suit you better. You will also need to edit your HTML templates to link to the CSS file with the new name you have selected. The Wiki article about Customised web pages should help you. These minor edits won't give you exactly what you want, but should help you on your way.

If you actually want to change the layout from that provided on the supplied web pages into something that looks more like that MX interface page, you need to create a HTML page along the lines described in the Wiki article about Customisation and in the middle bit have a series of tables like

<table id="RainTable">
                        <thead>
                            <tr>
                                <th>&nbsp;Rainfall</th>
                                <th></th>
                                <th></th>  
                            </tr>
                        </thead>
                        <tbody>
                        <tr>
                            <td>Rain Today</td>
                            <td><#rfall></td>
                            <td><#rainunit></td>
                        </tr>

<!-- add rows for what else you want  in the rainfall table -->     
		</tbody>
                    </table>
Each table has an identifier so that the CSS file can position it in relation to other tables, so in the CSS file:

#RainTable { 
float: left;
}
would position that table on the left.

I can't really go into more detail on how to implement positioning here, but you should be able to look at the web and find for yourself advice about positioning sections on a web page, and that will then specify both the extra HTML and the CSS needed for say a three column look.

I hope you have found this helpful.
Last edited by sfws on Wed 09 Aug 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M6YHW-ROB

Post by M6YHW-ROB »

Yes thank you, back in the day i used microsoft frontpage to edit html pages but now thats gone i'm a bit naff at editing html lol, but thank you again and i will try and sort it,
Cheers
Rob
sfws

Post by sfws »

Rob
Any editor designed for editing programming code can be used, in fact you are better off avoiding a web page editor.
I've slightly edited my post, reducing the number of HTML lines I quote, but perhaps I need to point out this is a Cumulus template, Cumulus needs to process it to replace the web tag(s) with values. As I suggested try just editing CSS first, to get a feel for the effect on look.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I think a few people have produced modified versions of the MX interface pages which can be used on a web site. It's quite a bit of work to do it - I had intended to do an 'official' version at some point, but never had the time. I have even less time now, as we've been emptying the house ready for selling it - I'm sitting on the floor typing this as we now have no furniture at all.
Steve
M6YHW-ROB

Post by M6YHW-ROB »

Lol i know that house move feeling, always seemed to be a week before Christmas for me many years ago lol,

OK i have made a copy of the css and edited the main one, i have now removed the seagul image, and changed the background colours, to suit,
I can't locate the colour code for the light grey or black text for example on the trends page:
Heres the light grey i think lol i'm slightly colour blind lol

Click on a button to display the corresponding chart.

Mouse over the chart to see the values at any given time.

You can add or remove data sets from the chart by clicking the entry on the chart legend

and heres a snippet of the black text:
Click on a button to show the corresponding graph above.

Just a few edits of the codes and i will be happy with it for now until i can workout a new template
M6YHW-ROB

Post by M6YHW-ROB »

I have found this link and do like this guys templates which seemed to have a argument between a few other members attached to the post,
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... +dashboard
Now from what i think i can understand is that it is PHP?

Also the earlier link i was kindly given to the banners for my webpage or signature etc is this
https://www.tnetweather.com/projects/phpggbanner

Now i'm going to be totally honest i have zip idea of php installation or workings of it.
So looks like i will need to recruit the help of someone who can do this for me and if they are interested then if they could give me a price to do it for me so i can gauge if i can afford their services, i would be grateful if someone could help with this for me.

As i have said i do try and do everything myself but this is way way above my poor skills lol, I'm still trying to revise for my Ham Intermediate licence which is mashing my failing brain lol.

Anyhow if anyone fancies telling me a price for the work i will be in very grateful.

Thanks Rob