Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

AERCUS WS3083 weather station ...

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

AERCUS WS3083 weather station ...

Post by odintheterrible »

Greetings,

Changed my weather station to an Aercus WS3083 (includes UV index and light meter) some short time back and initially suffered poor connectivity issues whilst running MX.
After an exchange of emails with the supplier it was agreed that there was probably an issue with the TX unit, so it's been replaced under warranty; and to be fair, it's worked well since (about 4 weeks now).
However, as of yesterday MX now reports a connection error ... error reading data from weather station, - it may need resetting. I've tried 'resetting' as per the manual but the only way I can get MX to communicate with the station is to remove the batteries from the TX and then basically re-do the initial setup.
Tried fresh batteries in the TX but doesn't solve the resetting problem as I still need to remove the batteries and then reinstall etc.
I'm now going to ask the obviously stupid question, so here goes; is it likely that the TX has turned it's toes up again or is there maybe something amiss with MX ??

Thanks in advance for any input
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: AERCUS WS3083 weather station ...

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

That sounds like the well-known "USB Lockup" issue with all of the "recent" Fine offset 108x and 308x stations. Nothing to do with the transmitter but the Console firmware.

Have you selected the "Synchronise Fine Offset reads" option in the Cumulus Configuration > Station settings?

Cheers, Alan.
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

I had one of those systems as a second system - primarily for the Solar Radiation/UV. Wish I hadn't bothered. The transmitter seemed to eat batteries (about 6 weeks life on average), the UVI was hopelessly inaccurate. I decommissioned it - and took it apart to see if I could re-use it in any way - still thinking about it. I have built my own crude solar power device based on a simple PV cell and calculating the power delivered into a small load resistor - crude but seemingly effective. Still waiting for that 'perfect' day for calibration - I need cloudless sky, low RH and this is for the whole of the daylight hours! And I live too close to Manchester! Not going to get that then :P
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
cumulusutils generating website
http://goosegate.uk/
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
philpugh wrote: I have built my own crude solar power device based on a simple PV cell and calculating the power delivered into a small load resistor - crude but seemingly effective.
It's the "short-circuit" current that you need to measure, not easy with a single photodiode. However, you can use a small, say 5 volt, Monocrystalline or Polycrystalline silicon PV panel (such as this or this UK stock), where some hundreds of milliVolts can be considered as a "short circuit". Don't use an amorphous silicon panel (as fitted to charge the FO solar pod batteries) because they are not stable, nor sensitive to the (required) Infra-Red component of sunshine.

More details on the Weatherduino Forum, which also has the option of using a UV sensor that can actually measure the "UV Index" quite accurately.

Cheers, Alan.
Werris Creek
Weather Station: PanTech (Fine Offset) WH3081
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3

Post by Werris Creek »

I had one of those Aercus systems and after two weeks the radio link became hopelessly unreliable. It was nothing to do with the USB lockup issue because I took the receiver outside to within 5 metres of the transmitter (not connected to any computer) and it was still useless. I'd reset everything and within minutes it would fail again. I'd bought the system on eBay and I demanded a refund, which the supplier gave me.

Ironically I've replaced it with an almost identical "PanTech" WH3081 system for just over half the price from another eBay seller and it's been perfect for over a month so far.