Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CMX on an x86 tablet?

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

CMX on an x86 tablet?

Post by Mapantz »

This may seem like a silly or trivial question, but would CMX work on an 8" (x86) Windows 10 tab that has an Atom processor?

My brother is ditching his for something different, and i'm going to nab it from him for a cheap price. I suddenly wondered if I could use CMX on it? I have a USB to Micro USB adapter to connect my station to it (if it does work) - I thought about putting it on the wall below the station. Perhaps i'm getting a bit ahead of myself? :lol:
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: CMX on an x86 tablet?

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
Mapantz wrote:I have a USB to Micro USB adapter to connect my station to it
I think the software will probably work, but how are you going to power the tablet? They normally have only one micro USB socket which can act as a USB host (with moderate power output for something like a mouse) but the same connector is also used to feed power in when charging.

If it were a serial data interface (COM port) then that might be via Bluetooth, leaving the USB socket for charging.

Cheers, Alan.
Last edited by AllyCat on Tue 19 Sep 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

i would think it would work fine as long as it has 2 usb ports or a dedicated charge port. That atom processor may have more compute power than a raspi
Give her a go
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

As long as it is the full version of W10 you should be fine as far as the Operating system is concerned. The hardware maybe a different problem depending on how the USB port(s) are powered, but as suggested a powered hub may help.
David
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

Hi folks

Thank you for the replies! I did fret slightly after making the post, thinking the same thing about only one USB port for charging and data, but it turns out that it has micro USB for charging, and it has two full-size USB ports, for a mouse/keyboard etc..
It has 32GB of storage and 2GB of RAM, so it maybe a go?!

My only concern is, how stable will it be? The only way will be to try it. I won't be getting it for a few weeks, but i'm certainly interested in how it will perform! :)
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

Mapantz wrote:
My only concern is, how stable will it be? The only way will be to try it. I won't be getting it for a few weeks, but i'm certainly interested in how it will perform! :)
Good to hear extra usb ports
I would think if thats all that is running should be ok with 2gig of ram. if posible do a clean install first. now It is windows so YEA its stable. :roll: