Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.
falkunmalti
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:19 pm
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: Ontario, Canada

Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby falkunmalti » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi
My current setup includes CumulusMX running on a rpi3 on the second floor where WWVB connectivity is best (for syncing my WMR200 clock with WWVB). MX also connects to Weatherunderground and my weather website to send weather data out to the internet. I also plan to send the weather data out to aprs via a tnc-pi2 running on another rpi3 located in the basement. How can I set things up so that the daily information from MX gets sent out also to my aprs? Both rpi's will be on the same network. I uses to do this with Cumulus 1 but then all software was running on the same machine. Thanks for any help. Please ask if you need more clarification.

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26311
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in Portugal
Contact:

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby steve » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:34 pm

How were you sending aprs data using Cumulus 1? Using the text file generated by Cumulus whose name I have completely forgotten? If so, you need a way to copy that file to the other Pi - a Linux expert can probably help you with that.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

falkunmalti
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:19 pm
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby falkunmalti » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:40 pm

steve wrote:How were you sending aprs data using Cumulus 1? Using the text file generated by Cumulus whose name I have completely forgotten? If so, you need a way to copy that file to the other Pi - a Linux expert can probably help you with that.

Yes with Cumulus 1 I used to point aprsis to the file wxnow.txt which resides in the Cumulus main directory. I am thinking that creating a shared directory (or sharing the Cumulus directory) and then pointing to that should do it. Thanks.

falkunmalti
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:19 pm
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby falkunmalti » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:58 am

falkunmalti wrote:
steve wrote:How were you sending aprs data using Cumulus 1? Using the text file generated by Cumulus whose name I have completely forgotten? If so, you need a way to copy that file to the other Pi - a Linux expert can probably help you with that.

Yes with Cumulus 1 I used to point aprsis to the file wxnow.txt which resides in the Cumulus main directory. I am thinking that creating a shared directory (or sharing the Cumulus directory) and then pointing to that should do it. Thanks.

Steve, could you please confirm if the filename is realtime.txt residing in the CumulusMX main directory, Thanks.

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26311
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in Portugal
Contact:

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby steve » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:52 pm

No, I think you were right, the aprs file is wxnow.txt
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

falkunmalti
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:19 pm
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby falkunmalti » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:25 am

steve wrote:No, I think you were right, the aprs file is wxnow.txt

Steve, the aprs file wxnow.txt is in Cumulus 1 and resides in the main directory. In CumulusMX, which is what I was asking about, there is a file called realtime.txt which seems to be the same format and content as wxnow.txt in Cumulus 1. Please confirm if I am right and if not where I am mistaken. Thank you.

User avatar
laulau
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:52 pm
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7
Location: Meyenheim, Alsace, FR
Contact:

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby laulau » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:47 am

Hi,
In both Cumulus1 and CumulusMX i have a wxnow.txt file that contain the same data:

Code: Select all

sept. 25 2017 11:43
001/002g004t054r000p000P000h89b10199

It's not the same format in realtime.txt

Code: Select all

25/09/17 11:45:10 12.4 89 10.7 2.9 3.6 354 0.0 0.0 1019.88 N 1 km/h C mb mm 9.9 -0.12 19.0 315.4 0.0 19.5 55 12.4 +0.7 12.4 11:43 7.2 06:18 4.3 08:43 10.1 08:36 1021.03 00:44 1019.88 06:11 3.0.0 3043 7.2 12.4 14.0 0.7 0.00 181 1 0.0 8 1 0 N 219 m 12.1 0.0 563 0
Laurent

Image

falkunmalti
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:19 pm
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby falkunmalti » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:00 pm

laulau wrote:Hi,
In both Cumulus1 and CumulusMX i have a wxnow.txt file that contain the same data:

Code: Select all

sept. 25 2017 11:43
001/002g004t054r000p000P000h89b10199

It's not the same format in realtime.txt

Code: Select all

25/09/17 11:45:10 12.4 89 10.7 2.9 3.6 354 0.0 0.0 1019.88 N 1 km/h C mb mm 9.9 -0.12 19.0 315.4 0.0 19.5 55 12.4 +0.7 12.4 11:43 7.2 06:18 4.3 08:43 10.1 08:36 1021.03 00:44 1019.88 06:11 3.0.0 3043 7.2 12.4 14.0 0.7 0.00 181 1 0.0 8 1 0 N 219 m 12.1 0.0 563 0

Not in mine though. I don't have a wxnow.txt in CumulusMX, although my weather station is connected to CumulusMX. Maybe I have to specifically enable weatherunderground in the options. I have not done that yet. Thank you.

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26311
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in Portugal
Contact:

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby steve » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 pm

You don't need to enable WU, it's nothing to do with the wxnow.txt file. I don't know why you wouldn't have a wxnow.txt file,it should be creating it by default, just as with Cumulus 1 - as laulau has said. Is MX doing other things periodically, e.g. Adding entries to the sept log file?
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

falkunmalti
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:19 pm
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby falkunmalti » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:18 pm

steve wrote:You don't need to enable WU, it's nothing to do with the wxnow.txt file. I don't know why you wouldn't have a wxnow.txt file,it should be creating it by default, just as with Cumulus 1 - as laulau has said. Is MX doing other things periodically, e.g. Adding entries to the sept log file?

No it's just sitting there, connected to my weather station. I have been stopping and starting it quite a bit recently. When should the wxnow.txt file be created, right at the beginning? Since I am still in debug mode at the moment, I am still running my permanent station on the windows cumulus and doing testing on the MX.

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26311
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: On tour in Portugal
Contact:

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby steve » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:19 pm

It rewrites the file once a minute. Your answer to my question isn't clear - is it or is it not writing entries to the sept log file? If not, is your station fully working - as mentioned in the FAQ, Cumulus requires a number of sensors to be working before it starts saving data.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

falkunmalti
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:19 pm
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Sharing wx data between two Raspberry pi's

Postby falkunmalti » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:51 pm

steve wrote:It rewrites the file once a minute. Your answer to my question isn't clear - is it or is it not writing entries to the sept log file? If not, is your station fully working - as mentioned in the FAQ, Cumulus requires a number of sensors to be working before it starts saving data.

I guess I'm good now Steve. I have noticed several updates to wxnow.txt. Thanks for your prompt assistance to me. I truly appreciate it and thanks for a wonderful piece of software!


Return to “Cumulus MX”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andy5289 and 7 guests