Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Regular Linux Mint failures with latest MX build

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

fury88
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2 (fw 1.7.3)
Operating System: Linux Mint 18.1 x64

Regular Linux Mint failures with latest MX build

Post by fury88 »

Hi all,

Curious if anyone has run into this problem. It seems that my Cumulus MX crashes about every few weeks on Linux Mint. It probably doesn’t have anything to do with the OS itself but not sure. Unfortunately when it dies it locks up the serial port and if I try to restart via script it says it can’t connect to the port. I usually do a quick shutdown and run the script again. I’ll consider writing a script to monitor it but if I could figure out how to unlock the serial port that would be the best. Anyway if anyone has experienced this please let me know. Otherwise it’s off to the search engines to piece together a script!

Thanks.

-Matt
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Regular Linux Mint failures with latest MX build

Post by steve »

What exactly do you mean by “crashes”? Does it exit abnormally and print an exception to the console? What does the end of the diags file look like? Hopefully you have debug logging turned on?
Steve
fury88

Post by fury88 »

Hey Steve,

I thought I read you were on vacation! No need to reply if you are!

Yes, it abnormally exits Cumulus MX back to the command line. I SHOULD have debugging turned on due to some issues you helped me with in the spring. It does tell me to zip up the log files and send them in. I can do that at your convenience.

-Matt
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I’m on permanent vacation now :lol:

Yes, the log files would be good. I think they may just show an exception accessing the serial port, and MX has no recovery from that.
Steve
fury88

Post by fury88 »

Ok, Steve, finally got the log files! They are attached. LOL It crashed again this morning. Strange, Weather Underground used to send me emails when I stopped reporting but I've noticed they are cutting back on a lot since TWC bought them. I haven't had an email in months.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

There was an I/O exception accessing the serial port, MX doesn’t handle this I’m afraid.
Steve
fury88

Post by fury88 »

Which is what you expected, right? Can a recovery timeout be increased or is there any clue as to what might be causing it?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I’m afraid there’s no information as to the cause.
Steve
fury88

Post by fury88 »

Ok. It's likely the driver or something. I'll see if there are any updates. Would this be something you might address in a future build? Thanks for all your help!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If there are any future builds, handling the exception is something I could add. Whether just handling the exception would help much, I couldn’t say.
Steve
fury88

Post by fury88 »

Understood! Right now it seems to keep hold of the port. I can't connect once it crashes. I have to restart the system. If I could figure out what port it is connecting to I might be able to kill the process but I haven't been able to find it. ;-) It's emulating serial through USB.
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

you can try searching for your usb by running lsusb this will show all usb devices you can also add -v to get more details.
There is a program you can try called usbreset more info here https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... rt-via-cli
It would be worth a try instead of rebooting
fury88

Post by fury88 »

jlmr731 wrote:you can try searching for your usb by running lsusb this will show all usb devices you can also add -v to get more details.
There is a program you can try called usbreset more info here https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... rt-via-cli
It would be worth a try instead of rebooting
Thanks much! Great find. I compiled and tested and it works great. I’ll have to script a cron job to check for the crash and reset and restart. Should be fun little project. :D