Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Address already in use

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Bidou
Weather Station: aercus WS2083
Operating System: MAC OSX 10.10.5

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Address already in use

Post by Bidou »

Hello,

I'm a brand new Cumulus user and think I have managed to stuff it all up already. I have seen the post on address already in use and couldn't quite figure it out.

Here's what I did:
1. I installed CumulusMX following the instructions, I'm a first time user, with a recent weather station. It seemed to work and I had some readings (after initialisation) but I couldn't see the history (I have had the instrument logging for a couple months now).
2. I looked at the FAQs and changed the today.ini file to an older date (against the warnings). That didn't seem to work and the terminal seemed to hang, but I still had data there. I forced close, rested today.ini to the current date, but of course the damage was done.
3. I deleted CumulusMX totally and reinstalled. That's when I got the terminal already in use error. I tried to close port 8998 with no success (see screen grab - could be the wrong way as I had to google it). I also tried to run CumulusMX with port 9999 with no success either.

Attached the screen-shot of the mess, and also a zip of MXdiags as the error message recommends.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.10.5 and the weather station is acres WS2083. I'm a pretty basic user.

thanks in advance for you help and patience.

Sophie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Address already in use

Post by steve »

It looks like it’s the web socket port which the system says is already in use - 8002

Have you tried rebooting before starting MX?
Steve
Bidou
Weather Station: aercus WS2083
Operating System: MAC OSX 10.10.5

Post by Bidou »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. That worked fine thanks, I should have thought about it. I re-started, did the setup again and the program exited nicely. I started the program again and got a heap of errors, attached. I could see my instrument on the page, with the same readings as on the instrument. When I tried to exit the program hung up on me when trying to exit, in a similar way to last time. Shows on the screen print.

So it might be in the setup. I have an aercus WS2083. I chose "fine offset" and USB/serial, my units, data log to 30 minutes, my latitude and longitude (generally following the aercus instructions on their website). I checked a couple of the option boxes further down: average speed and dew point calculation I think.

Any further suggestions?

thanks

Sophie
Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 7.26.49 pm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

This is a known problem in the usb library which MX uses, with later versions of Mono, as it happens there has just been a post about it, and it may get fixed shortly - see the thread “lack of updates”
Steve