Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Running both v1 and MX

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Altocumulus
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 with Solar
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Running both v1 and MX

Post by Altocumulus »

Does anybody?

I'm reluctant to go all the way into using MX, then finding myself unable to revert back!

I doubt a simple splitter on the USB feed from the receiver would work.......:D

I've found v1 very stable, but a quick try of MX hasn't convinced me to go wholeheartedly across - it was sluggish on my PC.

As an aside, my PC is also logging information from a seismometer, so I may be overloading it somewhat.
jpsc
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue, belfryboy USB
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye

Re: Running both v1 and MX

Post by jpsc »

It is possible with a set of scripts to edit the files (date formats are different) to make one set from the other, but you cannot run them off the same set of data files.

I am going to use Cumulus 1 to edit my history because MX does not have that functionality.
John Cooper

Cumulus 3 on RPi3 with SSD

http://weather.mountpleasanthouse.uk

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Thanks John,

Think I'd better re-phrase my question :mrgreen:

If I have a splitter on the output from the transmitter (Davis), can I use the data feed to run 2 PCs, one running v1, the other mx ....

As a more immediate issue, I'm trying to ftp across my LAN to an xampp server on a separate PC for testing. I keep getting ftp time-outs.

Settings in the Internet panel are:

Host Name : Xxxx (name of PC with xampp server) - tried IP code with no difference
Port : 21
Directory : \\Xxxx\xampp\htdocs\Weather
Rest of entries blank

In files :

c:\cumulus\index.htm >>\\Xxxx\xampp\htdocs\Weather\index.htm process ticked.

All I'm getting in the ftplog is standard 'timeout' error when forcing a web-update.

It's taken me 7 years to get to deciding on an upload to an external website, so no hurry :lol:

Geoff
jpsc
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue, belfryboy USB
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye

Post by jpsc »

Altocumulus wrote:If I have a splitter on the output from the transmitter (Davis), can I use the data feed to run 2 PCs, one running v1, the other mx ....
The answer to this bit is No.

The communication between Cumulus and the console is two way. Having two connected is a recipe for disaster.

You can run one Cumulus talking to the console and the other one monitoring a file (easyweather.dat) written by the first.
John Cooper

Cumulus 3 on RPi3 with SSD

http://weather.mountpleasanthouse.uk

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

For Davis stations Virtual VP http://www.softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html used to work for two or more weather programs on the same computer. However this program has not been updated for several years, nor support any more, and many users were not able to run it on newer hardware, including me, but some still are able to use it successfully. It is now available at no charge.

I can't see how it could work on one datalogger and 2 computers though.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Thanks John and Paul...
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by saratogaWX »

I've been using VirtualVP for years with my vintage Davis Vantage Pro (1) Plus -- it has a pre-green-dot logger. With the newer green-dot loggers, a couple of things happened, and most disabling (for VirtualVP) was the LOOP2 packets which VirtualVP doesn't handle.

So.. if you have an old system, VirtualVP may work.

As for having it on 2 systems, I do that with my production weather system and development system. The production system runs VirtualVP serial to the logger, and offers 4 COM and 4 TCP/IP ports. On my development system, I run VirtualVP also, and use one of the TCP/IP ports on the production VirtualVP as the weather station source (pretending I have an Envoy or IP logger), and again have 4 COM ports and 4 TCP/IP ports available on the development system to test various weather software (currently running MX via COM, wview/Ubuntu via TCP/IP, WXsolution via COM). On my production system, I have Weather-Display, Cumulus1, WeatherLink and VWS via COM and Meteobridge, weewx/RPi running via TCP/IP.

I found that VirtualVP didn't like my newer Vantage Pro2 Plus serial logger, so I run WeatherLink attached to a COM port for just that one instance.

Why so many weather software running (you may ask). It's because of the Saratoga templates.. I need real data to keep up with the available weather tags. I apologize for not expanding the template to embrace MX (graphs from JSON) quite yet...
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I must be one of the few still running VirtualVP on an XP laptop. I have thought about installing MX but I just like Cumulus 1. I also run WeatherLink. Not sure why really. Just habit. I'll have some serious thinking to do when the laptop eventually dies but it's still performing admirably after nearly 9 years.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I also run WeatherLink. Not sure why really. Just habit.
Ray, since you are running Weatherlink as well, do you have weatherlink.com 2.0? the recently introduced Davis free page
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/a3 ... ad6e1f09d1

My data is stale as I don't run Weatherlink regularly but would like to if I could run VirtualVP reliably.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

PaulMy wrote:Ray, since you are running Weatherlink as well, do you have weatherlink.com 2.0? the recently introduced Davis free page
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/a3 ... ad6e1f09d1

My data is stale as I don't run Weatherlink regularly but would like to if I could run VirtualVP reliably.

Enjoy,
Paul
Hi Paul,

Never knew about that until you posted. Don't think I'll bother unless it offers something really special. I have plenty of different ways of accessing my data via a PC, iPad or Android phone.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.