Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Help to understand my Dad's system

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

DanBristol
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Help to understand my Dad's system

Post by DanBristol »

Hi All,
Not sure if this is doable over the web, but hopefully someone can shed some light. Unfortunately my father passed away suddenly at the start of March - he was a member here and had a weather station (Davis Vantage Pro 2) that updated a website. A few weeks later, the website stopped updating. My mum's just realised and asked me if I could work out what's going on. I've got so far, but reached a dead end and wondered if anyone on here could give a few pointers.

The set up:
The Vantage Pro is updating the reciever (display shows current weather etc). This is then connected to a usb hub which in turn goes to his Raspberry Pi. There's an SD card in the Pi itself, which is labelled settings. Also connected to the hub is an external hard drive. This drive contains all the files & folders for Culumus MX - the last date any of the logs have been updated with matches the last update shown on the website. I can't find any files or folders relating to Culumus anywhere else. No one has used the Pi since before Dad died until I logged onto it tonight - I had to use Admin and reset his password as we didn't know it.

I can't find anything that shows that Culumus MX is actually running on the Pi (although I've not used one before). Is there a command that I can use to check this? Or can I just 'start' Cumulus MX again? Obviously we've tried restarting the Pi, but that's had no effect.

Any help would be gratefully recieved. Dad really enjoyed his weather station and it seems a shame to just stop it when he worked so hard to get it going! He was always really grateful for the help he got from the people on here too - so in family tradition I thought I'd ask too!

Cheers
Dan
DanBristol
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Re: Help to understand my Dad's system

Post by DanBristol »

Have just found a folder of notes that Dad wrote about the set-up! All very helpful and seem to have done the trick... he'd be very pleased!
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Sorry to hear about your Dad, but I'm glad you got it going.

I suspect he was using something like "screen" to launch Cumulus (like me!), this requires user interaction to restart Cumulus if the rPi is rebooted. You may want to investigate this script [https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13767] which will restart Cumulus automatically on reboot.

Do you have a link to the website?
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

mcrossley wrote:I suspect he was using something like "screen" to launch Cumulus (like me!), this requires user interaction to restart Cumulus if the rPi is rebooted.
I'm unsure why the 'screen' script method has become so popular. It's much easier to just use 'cron' and run Cumulus as a background task, autostarting at every reboot.And I set my Pi to reboot in the early hours each day in case there's a problem when I'm away on holiday.

See https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... &start=396
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I now use cron and screen, screen just makes it easy for me to reattach/detach to Cumulus to check what is going on.