Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

FTP'd files have incorrect permissions

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

gw4bvy
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows7 & Raspian

FTP'd files have incorrect permissions

Post by gw4bvy »

I've completed my migration of my Vantage Vue weather station, eventually, using CumulusMX from a PC to a Raspberry Pi.

There is one remaining issue. All of the files FTP'd within the Raspberry Pi from CumulusMX to /var/www/html/ have permission -rw------- (600) and therefore get a 403 Forbidden when I try to access them from a Browser. (Looking at the old files on my previous NAS server they had permission -rwxrwxrwx (777) ) .

Help !!
Thanks in Advance,
Roger
gw4bvy
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows7 & Raspian

Re: FTP'd files have incorrect permissions

Post by gw4bvy »

Solving my own problem - but may be of interest to others.
The problem was the setting in vsftpd. By default this is set to 600. As a minimum it is necessary in vsftpd.conf to set local_umask and anon_umask to 022.
But it still doesn't work. As the FTP is overwritting files that already exist - it DOES NOT change the permissions!!!! You need to delete the files already FTP'd, and then the permissions will be correct on the next upload.
Roger
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: FTP'd files have incorrect permissions

Post by freddie »

You don't need your permissions to be as lax as 777. You won't need the execute bit set firstly, as they aren't files that get executed. The only user that needs write permission is the user that FTPs the files - which is also the owner of the files. Therefore you should really tighten up the permissions to 644 (read/write owner, read group and global). It probably doesn't matter, but should your Pi be compromised then the files are wide open to unauthorised editing.
Freddie