Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Behaviour of "today" tags at the end of the day

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Behaviour of "today" tags at the end of the day

Post by freddie »

I have recently decided to make use of the larger maximum size of Twitter tweets by editing my twitter.txt to include more data. As well as the current data that Cumulus already tweets every hour on the hour, I have included the rain total for today (in my case 0900-0900) and also the maximum and minimum temperature for the same period.

This works as aniticipated except for the tweet that goes out at the end of the day at 0900. I was expecting to be able to tweet the maximum and minimum temperatures for the preceeding 24 hour period, along with the total rainfall. However, it appears that the values are reset at that time, and all you ever get for these values at 0900 is zero for rain, and the temperature at 0900 for the maximum and minimum. I can sort of see how this happens (values get reset before the first data received from my VP after 0900) but I don't know why. At the "top of the hour" at the end of the data day (i.e. before any data has been collected for the "new" day) isn't it more useful to have the max/min and rainfall total for the period just ending available? Otherwise these values are always going to be equal to zero (rainfall) or the 0900 values (max/min temperature).

Is it possible to consider changing this behaviour, please? If not, has anybody else bumped up against these circumstances and arrived at a work-around?

Thanks.
Freddie
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Behaviour of "today" tags at the end of the day

Post by steve »

I don’t propose to change that behaviour (if I ever do any more development) as I believe it’s correct (any actions will be just after 0900 so a new day has already started).

However, I do agree with you that being able to use the figures before they are reset would be useful. One of the enhancements on the to-do list is more sophisticated scheduling, and I would envisage this being part of that (if I ever...).
Steve
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Behaviour of "today" tags at the end of the day

Post by freddie »

Thanks for reply, Steve.

That is fair enough. I have thought of a work-around in the interim - have two versions of twitter.txt, one with the "today" tags and one with the "yesterday" tags, and use a Cron job to switch between the two at 0830 and 0930.

Hope you are well and settling in.

Best regards, Niall.
Freddie