Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Porting website to server? Removing settings/edit

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

orfeo
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Linux Mint / Windows 7

Porting website to server? Removing settings/edit

Post by orfeo »

Hi,

I've used Cumulus for a while at my work weather station. I've since upgraded to CumulusMX. We used to simply copy the webpage files across the network to our server which is open to the public. But this doesn't work with the CumulusMX structure. We're thinking of making a proxy for the machine that runs the CumulusMX interface. But we'd like to remove any security risks like the Setting and Edit tab on the taskbar at the top.

Can someone point me in the right direction for this? If it is possible to copy the website to a server to host it please let me know. I've been told that CumulusMX has a " partitioned front-end/back-end system where the front end is Javascript that makes API calls to a backend server" which will not allow it to be copied to a server.

many thanks
orfeo
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Porting website to server? Removing settings/edit

Post by steve »

I don't recommend trying to use the Cumulus UI for a public web site unless you really know what you're doing security-wise.

I don't understand why you can't use the MX web site in the same way that you did with the Cumulus 1 web site. Most of the standard MX site is the same as the standard Cumulus 1 web site anyway, and it's just a set of files generated by Cumulus which are copied to a web server, either by FTP (the usual case for most users) or by copying (if your web server is on the same network as your Cumulus machine). The copying alternative just requires more work by yourself to add the required files to the 'extra' files in Cumulus (or you can use an external mechanism to copy the files if you wish).
Steve
orfeo

Post by orfeo »

Thanks Steve

Can you point me to any info on what files need to be copies? I copied the entire CumulusMX directory to my webserver and then loaded the interface/index.html file. The webpage appears but the stats are dead. I should probably read the FAQ ! sorry :)
orfeo
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

That's the MX user interface that you're trying to use. It looks like a web site, but it isn't. The MX web site files are in the same directories as Cumulus 1 - i.e. the static files that you would normally copy to your web server manually just once are in the webfiles folder, and the files which Cumulus generates periodically are in the web folder. It's pretty much the same as Cumulus 1, with the addition of the json files which the graphs use.
Steve
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

I did try this a while back and a few people have managed to do their own thing with the CumulsMX UI thought it only works of cumulusmx is on the same server as the webserver afaik.

your better to just use either the Cumulus Webfiles site: https://www.conligwx.org/index.htm

or install your own template like so:

Saratoga Templates: https://www.conligwx.org/
Brian's PWS webfiles: https://www.conligwx.org/pws/index.php

there are a number of other ones, but the latter two are the most common Templates.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

orfeo

Post by orfeo »

Thanks Steve

My issue was i hadn't actually setup the Settings-->Internet Settings-->Web FTP Settings . If i recall i had to check the auto update box and set the interval. Then the htm files were created and like you said i just copied them to the server.

cheers
orfeo