Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.
harrym1byt
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:22 pm
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Location: Garforth, W. Yorks, UK
Contact:

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Postby harrym1byt » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:33 am

I am getting the very same lack of data issue, whether via the hopto site or by entering my WAN IP. It must be my router or the Pi blocking the data, but I am at a loss as to why...

BigOkie
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:06 am
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Raspian Jessie
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Postby BigOkie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:44 am

harrym1byt wrote:New problem -sorry :o

http://m1byt.hopto.org:8998/gauges.html

I have added the port and etc. through my router, to the R Pi's weather site, that seems to be working via the above link, it is showing the gauges and I can click the buttons, select everything, but ----- there is no data showing at all on any of the pages. Looking at the pages via my LAN, the pages show up perfectly with data.


Clear your browser cache and cookies and try again. You may find out that you can't actually get to it that way. If you haven't messed with the install any then sockets will be default and you will need to forward port 8002 as well as 8998.

harrym1byt
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:22 pm
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Location: Garforth, W. Yorks, UK
Contact:

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Postby harrym1byt » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:43 pm

BigOkie wrote:
harrym1byt wrote:New problem -sorry :o

http://m1byt.hopto.org:8998/gauges.html

I have added the port and etc. through my router, to the R Pi's weather site, that seems to be working via the above link, it is showing the gauges and I can click the buttons, select everything, but ----- there is no data showing at all on any of the pages. Looking at the pages via my LAN, the pages show up perfectly with data.


Clear your browser cache and cookies and try again. You may find out that you can't actually get to it that way. If you haven't messed with the install any then sockets will be default and you will need to forward port 8002 as well as 8998.


Cache cleared and port 8002 added to point to the Pi's IP and now it seems to be fully working :D

If someone would care to test it from outside my LAN and confirm it - http://m1byt.hopto.org:8998/index.html

[EDIT] I have just realised there is a problem...

The MX settings are not protected by a password, so anyone going to the above Pi website, could reconfigure MX.
Steve - any chance you could password lock the settings please?

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26624
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: Vienne, France
Contact:

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Postby steve » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:59 pm

harrym1byt wrote:Steve - any chance you could password lock the settings please?
I don't believe that's possible, given that the 'web server' built into MX is very simple.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

User avatar
mcrossley
Posts: 5186
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 pm
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Stretch Lite rPi
Location: Wilmslow, Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Postby mcrossley » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:05 pm

To access the MX console pages remotely and display data you will also have to allow the web sockets port through your router.

It's still a bad idea to do this though.

User avatar
rogerthn
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:31 pm
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR88
Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 8
Location: Trollhättan Sweden
Contact:

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Postby rogerthn » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:31 pm

mcrossley wrote:It's still a bad idea to do this though.

+1

Please have a look at OpenVPN, I do have it running on one of my Raspberry.
Port forward of one UDP port :clap:
Image

water01
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:33 am
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit HP SP1
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Contact:

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Postby water01 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:50 pm

I would suggest, as you have been told a couple of times, it is a bad idea to open ports to the Pi to allow access to what are meant to be internal web displayed pages. You are asking to be hacked. CumulusMX does not have any security whatsoever to stop people accessing your setup, and it is very unlikely it will ever have this, as these pages were not designed for this use.

Why can't you host a web page using the supplied web pages and do it that way?

harrym1byt
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:22 pm
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Location: Garforth, W. Yorks, UK
Contact:

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Postby harrym1byt » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:31 pm

water01 wrote:I would suggest, as you have been told a couple of times, it is a bad idea to open ports to the Pi to allow access to what are meant to be internal web displayed pages. You are asking to be hacked. CumulusMX does not have any security whatsoever to stop people accessing your setup, and it is very unlikely it will ever have this, as these pages were not designed for this use.

Why can't you host a web page using the supplied web pages and do it that way?


I have done that in the past, but I was thinking it would be better to directly host the site on the Pi instead - as the Pi is intended to be constantly on and available.. Obviously now I understand it would leave it open, so better to forget that idea.

User avatar
steve
Cumulus Author
Posts: 26624
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None
Location: Vienne, France
Contact:

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Postby steve » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:46 pm

You can host your web site on your Pi, that isn't a problem (with the right security measures), but exposing the MX user interface to the world is not a good idea.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job


Return to “Cumulus MX”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests