Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Post by harrym1byt »

I have an IP cam which I can access via my LAN or via the Internet, from anywhere in the world. I am not on a static IP, but I can log into the cam suppliers website, which keeps a record of my current WAN IP and redirects me to my cam IP. I guess the way it works, is that the firmware in the cam, constantly reports back to the site, so the site knows my current IP.

Can I access C MX in a similar way, from the Internet beyond my LAN please?
oh6hps
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: RaspberryPi 2

Re: Accessing my C MX weather via WAN/internet

Post by oh6hps »

I'm using TeamViewer for remote access to C MX via my Windows computer. Works just fine.
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

oh6hps wrote:I'm using TeamViewer for remote access to C MX via my Windows computer. Works just fine.
Thanks, but I was hoping for something simple, like logging into my IP cameras website, via the WAN then LAN. Just being able to view the weather on my R Pi's website.
oh6hps
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: RaspberryPi 2

Post by oh6hps »

Ok, my bad, I was thinking that you want to change MX settings etc. I'm not an expert, but If you want to monitor your weather data then the best option would be put up your own webpages or feed data to Weatherunderground etc. I think Cumulus MX is not meant to be access from WAN, not saying it is impossible.
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

oh6hps wrote:Ok, my bad, I was thinking that you want to change MX settings etc. I'm not an expert, but If you want to monitor your weather data then the best option would be put up your own webpages or feed data to Weatherunderground etc. I think Cumulus MX is not meant to be access from WAN, not saying it is impossible.
It's not impossible (I'm able to) but unless you're technical and have figured out a way to restrict access I wouldn't advise it. It would leave your install of CMX open to having someone other than yourself changing settings. I use my router to restrict access to mine.
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Would it be a matter of just opening port 8998 and directing it to my R Pi's LAN IP?

I am not sure how I would get around my ISP not providing a static IP, maybe I could log in via my IP cams redirect facility, to find out the WAN IP, then to the R Pi's website?
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

logging into an internal device from the internet without some sort of encryption is not the best thing to do. you would be allowing hackers to try and access your system.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by odintheterrible »

Interesting thread.
Not sure if it's relevant or even helpful ... but I have my IPCamera running on the same dedicated PC that serves my Cumulus web site.
I have the Cumulus web site setup on the PC and it's accessible from the web using a DDNS service (NO-IP).
Now on the same PC, I'm running the free version of NETCAM STUDIO X (server) which hosts the output from the IPCamera (ONVIF) and which I've incorporated into the Cumulus web page along with a couple of timelapse clips of the region's weather courtesy of Sat24.com (if you put a link back to their site and ask nicely, they will probably let you use the relevant clips for your area)
It took me a while to figure it all out; but now it's sorted it runs OK. (Below is a partial screen grab showing the 2 timelapse videos and the live output from the IPCamera) ... if u want a direct link to the web page PM me :)

"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
ICP963
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by ICP963 »

harrym1byt wrote:Would it be a matter of just opening port 8998 and directing it to my R Pi's LAN IP?

I am not sure how I would get around my ISP not providing a static IP, maybe I could log in via my IP cams redirect facility, to find out the WAN IP, then to the R Pi's website?
Try https://www.noip.com/ for your ip situation. They give you a url that links to your system via a small application.
Roy Schahrer - N7QYK
Chandler, AZ
WX Station : Davis Vantage Vue with USB Datalogger
WX Computer: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B running Raspbian
Software : CumulusMX Beta 3041
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Thanks, but the idea is not to run a Windows machine, just the R Pi plus an IP cam 24/7. Whilst away from home, I presently have access to the camera. The camera when running constantly reports its WAN IP back to the camera manufacturers website. So when away from home, I just login to the makers web site and it redirects over to my WAN IP. That works surprisingly well.
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

Might not be what you are looking for but
harrym1byt wrote:Thanks, but the idea is not to run a Windows machine, just the R Pi plus an IP cam 24/7.
NOIP Dynamic Update Client DUC can be installed on Raspberry PI.
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

rogerthn wrote:Might not be what you are looking for but
harrym1byt wrote:Thanks, but the idea is not to run a Windows machine, just the R Pi plus an IP cam 24/7.
NOIP Dynamic Update Client DUC can be installed on Raspberry PI.
Sorry, I didn't realise that. I will give it a go later, thanks very much...
rogerthn

Post by rogerthn »

harrym1byt wrote:Sorry, I didn't realise that. I will give it a go later, thanks very much...
No problem and once you have that in place you might want try an OpenVPN server on the PI as well :D
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

New problem -sorry :o

http://m1byt.hopto.org:8998/gauges.html

I have added the port and etc. through my router, to the R Pi's weather site, that seems to be working via the above link, it is showing the gauges and I can click the buttons, select everything, but ----- there is no data showing at all on any of the pages. Looking at the pages via my LAN, the pages show up perfectly with data.
rogerthn

Post by rogerthn »

I do get This site can’t be reached
It might be down the moment?