Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MX with Instromet questions

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Chapel
Weather Station: Instromet
Operating System: Raspbian

MX with Instromet questions

Post by Chapel »

As mentioned in a previous post we are running CumulusMX with an Instromet datalogger and after some teething issues are now seeing data being recorded via the localhost web interface. We are however missing some data...

The system has a sun sensor that appears to be functioning in that the LED is lit on the piggyback board that came with it however we are seeing nothing on the web display.

Secondly we are running the wet and dry bulb sensors which I thought would give humidity, I have checked the second sensor in station settings and I see 'Sensor 1' in Extra sensors with a temperature which incidentally is the same as the main temperature, however no sign of a humidity reading.

Thoughts on these two items anyone?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: MX with Instromet questions

Post by steve »

If you turn on data logging, the data received will be logged to the diags file, then I can see whether the sun data is being received. But I can't actually remember where MX displays the count of the sunshine hours!

If you have 'extra sensors' selected, the wet bulb reading will be used as an extra temperature sensor. Otherwise it is used as 'wet bulb' and the humidity will be calculated from that and the dry bulb sensor.
Steve
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

Steve, does this mean I should de-select extra sensors in order to see the humidity?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes.
Steve
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

Well unchecking the second sensor got me humidity although it is currently showing 98% so way off, I have instromet if there is a setup process for it.

A diagnostic file is attached.
20180806-101300.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/d

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If as you say your wet bulb and dry bulb are showing the same temperature, that will naturally lead to a very high calculated relative humidity. You've made sure that the wick is in the water and anything else that needs to be done?
Steve
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

I have a feeling the diagnostic file is lacking data as I restarted shortly afterwards so I am running it again.

I have removed the water source and will let the wick dry, I can then check the temperatures for each sensor are identical and go from there.
/d

Chapel

Post by Chapel »

20180806-142010.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/d

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Here's an example of a data response:

2018-08-06 14:29:53.886 Response from station: rdlv,25.1,24.9,,1010.6,1.4,260,10.03,0.00,39

The 25.1 is temperature 1 and the 24.9 is temperature 2.

The 10.03 is the sun hour count. It's the same figure throughout the file, but the file only covers a few minutes, so it's impossible to say whether it's working. If the sun is shining, you would still expect it to have increased a little (as 0.01 hours is less than a minute).
Steve
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

The latest entry is: 2018-08-06 16:45:51.732 rdlv,27.3,27.2,,1010.4,2.2,236,11.69,0.00,26

So a sun hour count now showing 11.69, and current data is at 4 hours sunshine today so does this mean I should be seeing the solar radiation showing as well (which is at zero) or is that based on additional data?

Sorry to come in with so many questions... :oops:
/d

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The station doesn't supply solar radiation values, it supplies sunshine hours.
Steve
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

Yes, so I realised :)
/d