Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus MX on Ubuntu 18.04

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

martinu
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspberry Pi: Raspbian Stretch

Cumulus MX on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by martinu »

I'm currently playing with Ubuntu under Oracle Virtual Box on my WIndows7 laptop. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04. I've tried to install mono but it doesn't seem to want to run CumulusMX.exe (I've expanded the Cumulus ZIP to a folder).

https://www.mono-project.com/download/s ... wnload-lin says (for Ubuntu 18.04):

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-bionic main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list
sudo apt update

which *seems* to complete successfully but
sudo mono CumulusMX.exe

fails with

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'CumulusMX.Cumulus:MonthlyMySqlConn' (379) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'CumulusMX.Cumulus:MonthlyMySqlConn' (379) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.

I'm fumbling around in the dark here, as you can probably tell.

My long-term aim is to replace my Cumulus on my Windows 7 PC with Cumulus on a Raspberry Pi 3 (which I'll also use as a TV-recording computer - a PVR) as a lower-power alternative to the PC which uses about 70W of power even with screen turned off. Maybe I should wait until I get a Rasp Pi and use the instructions for that.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus MX on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by steve »

Have you actually installed the mono-complete package, as in the MX installation instructions? And step 2 on the page that you linked to, says that installing mono-complete should cover most cases of 'assembly not found' errors?

If you have installed mono-complete, then I'm afraid I have no other suggestions.
Steve
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

In ubuntu just use apt to install mono complete

should be as easy as "sudo apt install mono-complete"
martinu
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspberry Pi: Raspbian Stretch

Post by martinu »

That fails with a package dependency:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt install mono-complete
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
mono-complete : Depends: monodoc-manual (= 5.14.0.177-0xamarin3+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

and

sudo apt install monodoc-manual

fails

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
monodoc-manual : Depends: monodoc-browser but it is not going to be installed or
monodoc-http but it is not going to be installed or
monodoc-viewer

and monodoc-browser fails on libglade2.0-cil

and so on...

rather than go recursively back through the dependent packages, I'm inclined to thing that something early on hasn't completed properly.

I'm probably missing out some crucial early stage...
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

did you try sudo apt install -f after it failed the first time? or --fix-missing (something like that)
and you did you add any mono repositories? they may be causing problems too if you added any
seeing you have 5.14.0.177-0xamarin3+ubuntu1804b1 shows you got it from the mono repository
mine from ubuntu is monodoc-manual (4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1)

Ive just installed it fine on a pretty fresh install of 18.04

so try to comment out mono repo's out of apt sources then update and try to install