Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Massive Huge Humogous Giant Ginormous Titanic sized MxDiags file

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

t951
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7, 8 and Ubuntu 15.04

Massive Huge Humogous Giant Ginormous Titanic sized MxDiags file

Post by t951 »

I thought the subject line was appropriate, I hope that's ok! I have looked and cannot find an answer that fits.
I have been running CumulusMX for a long time with no issues. Today I got a message from the system saying drive space low.
After doing some digging i find that my current MxDiag file is 157 gig!
I cannot open a file that size without crashing the system to peak inside it.
The other bit of data is that Wunderground had me reporting zeros. I checked the connection between the system and Davis Vantage and all appeared normal. I pulled the battery and restarted the Vantage and the PC. I did all of that yesterday.

Screen shot of folders:
cumulus mxdiags folder 2018-10-19_13-54-32.png
Any ideas?

Thanks again,
t.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Massive Huge Humogous Giant Ginormous Titanic sized MxDiags file

Post by steve »

Possibly logging failed ftp uploads of realtimegauges.txt, as I’ve mentioned many times in the forum, although that would have caused the same issue previously, assuming you were using the latest version of MX. Nonetheless, some may have found your hyperbole amusing. Makes a change from me complaining about trying to sort out malware on the server while on holiday, at least.

Assuming you are not uploading to your own web site, turn off the ftp of the realtimegauges.txt file in the internet settings.

If that’s not the cause, it’s impossible to say without actually seeing the contents of the file. Could just have been logging lots of errors. Note that Cumulus starts a new diags file every time it starts up, and you can delete old diags files if they are too big to be useful. Is that helpful in any way?

I note that isn’t the first time that you have had this issue.
Steve
t951
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7, 8 and Ubuntu 15.04

Post by t951 »

Steve,
Thanks for the fast reply!

I will try your suggestion and see what happens. Hopefully you can send your frustrations directly to your malware provider, along with a bill!

I did get a small peek into what was in the log file, this is the screenshot of the issue. I imagine that path shown is from your Visual Studio install. Maybe this info can help you or others:
2018-10-19_14-12-04.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Looks like the connection to the console was lost (the port was closed) so every time Cumulus tried to read data from it, an error was returned and logged. Cumulus does not handle the connection being lost well.
Steve