Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Extra sensor(s) development possibility

Share your Cumulus MX user interface here

Moderator: mcrossley

PaulJ
Weather Station: WMR200
Operating System: Windows 10

Extra sensor(s) development possibility

Post by PaulJ »

I have been thinking about how Cumulus MX, (which I like a lot and is proving very reliable), might be able to add the data from my extra sensor, (I use it in the green house so it is important to me), in the form of both a chart for recent values, (overnight especially), and a current reading. I use the WMR200 weather station. I did post this yesterday just before Steve closed the 'what is missing between MX and regular Cumulus', and my thoughts were planning to then ask the following:
1. If I were to put significant effort into learning more about HTML, Javascript, JQUERY, JSON etc would I be able to create a sub section that was somewhat self contained, leveraging existing MX sub routines to achieve my outline goals mentioned above? On the face of it the data already exists as it can be accessed via the extra sensors tab for pretty much current temperature and via the extra data logs for the last 24 hours, (and more in fact). I do have some spare time for sure and long ago used to be a programmer but pre-internet of any shape or form!
2. What might be the limitations of taking this approach, as in what might I not be able to achieve, rather than the obvious downside of creating an awkward to maintain addition and the possibility I might spend much time achieving nothing, ( which I accept).
3. Would there be any top down outline guidance on the best approach?
4. Is this an activity that Steve has reservations about - in which case I would not want to cross whatever line exists.

thanks to anyone who has read this and might have any useful input for me at this early stage.
Paul
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Extra sensor(s) development possibility

Post by steve »

I would offer to include fetching the recent extra temp data in the interface in the next build, but this would require a lot of code to maintain the data in Cumulus in the first place, and as users with extra temp sensors are a small minority, it's not really the best use of my limited time.

I suspect the most straightforward method would be to populate an SQL database using the 'Custom SQL' facility, and then drive a Highcharts chart from that.
Steve
stu_iow
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win 10

Post by stu_iow »

I too request extra sensors integrated as PaulJ has suggested.

I would be happy to donate towards the CumulusMX project (late December/early jan) if this would help.
Running CumulusMX on a RPI2. Coming over straight from using WD for 10 years.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

stu_iow wrote:I too request extra sensors integrated as PaulJ has suggested.

I would be happy to donate towards the CumulusMX project (late December/early jan) if this would help.
The best thing to do is to create an enhancement request (there may be one already) and then at some point I may get around to looking at it.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Paul - thanks for adding an enhancement request for this. Just to clarify, this is not a feature that is currently in Cumulus 1, which is what the now-closed thread was asking for, and I am (for the most part) prioritising adding Cumulus 1 features to MX first before I go on to consider completely new enhancements. I still have some way to go with making MX do everything that Cumulus 1 does.
Steve
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

Been looking into this with a view to adding UV and solar info in addition to the data from my vantagevue, I have built the crudest of sensors to test out my idea which is to add the data into a table in the mysql database. I think that this will work but my investigations have led me to cobble together a new web interface that only uses data fom the database. Ie no reliance on files from cumulusmx other than the info it puts into the database. The advantage for me is that my mysql database runs on one of my raid1 NAS boxes. It's coming on slowly but I think it will be a solution for me.

The additional sensors are connected via an Arduino and raspberry pi. In theory any number of additional sensors types can be added.
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
cumulusutils generating website
http://goosegate.uk/
philpugh

Post by philpugh »

I now have a very simple web site up on the signature below.

This does not have any data transfer from CumulusMX to the web server. All station data retrieved from MySQL database running on a Raid 1 NAS server. Will keep on developing from time to time.
Phil Pugh
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Very nicely done!

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

philpugh wrote:I now have a very simple web site up on the signature below.
Nice site. Where is the data for? There is no indication of this...
Freddie
philpugh

Post by philpugh »

Thanks for the comments - sorry - the data is for Antrobus in Cheshire, UK. Never got around to putting that in the header :bash:

Edit - fixed now!
Phil Pugh
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

philpugh wrote:fixed now!
Nice one. I guessed it was for Antrobus looking at your sig - but didn't like to assume!
Freddie