If you use Cumulus, please donate Image

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

How I get the communication protocol data format of Weather station USB to PC Cumulus software ?

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section and its subforums are the main place to get help with Cumulus. Anything which is not specific to the type of weather station goes in here; for anything specific to a type of weather station, please use the appropriate subforum. Use the 'website development' section for any questions relating to creating or running a web site for Cumulus data. Discussion of the stations themselves in these sections is fine.
weather123
Weather Station: WS-2095
Operating System: windows XP

How I get the communication protocol data format of Weather station USB to PC Cumulus software ?

Postby weather123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:50 pm

We are develop a weather station which can through USB send data to Cumulus Software display ,I am looking for the communication protocol or data format of Weather station USB to PC Cumulus software .

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Jessie Lite rPi

Re: How I get the communication protocol data format of Weather station USB to PC Cumulus software ?

Postby mcrossley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 pm

Each station does it differently, depending on the capabilities of your station you may want to emulate a simple station like a Fine Offset, or a more complete protocol would be something like the Davis VP2 protocol. Their are existing implementations of the Davis protocol out there if you search hard enough.

weather123
Weather Station: WS-2095
Operating System: windows XP

Re: How I get the communication protocol data format of Weather station USB to PC Cumulus software ?

Postby weather123 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:11 am

Thank you for your assistance but I would like to know the data format or communication protocol of the weather station through USB-HID send to PC cumulus software ,is it Json or ASCII Code or other protocol?

Toxic17
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Debian 9.1 Stretch

Postby Toxic17 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:07 am

weather123 wrote:Thank you for your assistance but I would like to know the data format or communication protocol of the weather station through USB-HID send to PC cumulus software ,is it Json or ASCII Code or other protocol?

As stated earlier, each make/models data output can be different, so unless you can answer the question, What Weather station do you have? you question cannot be answered.
Regards Simon
https://www.conligwx.org
https://www.conligwx.org/pws/
Davis Vantage Pro2+ - CumulusMX v3.0.0 (build 3043) + Saratoga/PWS

steve
Cumulus Author
Operating System: Raspbian

Postby steve » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:40 am

They have been emailing me repeatedly with this question, and it now looks like they are going to start spamming the forum. I tried to explain to them what you have told them in this thread, that there is no Cumulus protocol, the station 'owns' the protocol. I finally told them I would no longer be replying to their many emails.

As I understand it, they want to manufacture a new station but use an existing USB HID protocol, and one which works with Cumulus. So that would be either Fine Offset or Oregon Scientific. It seems to me that they need to ask those manufacturers for the details of their protocol, and permission to use it. Good luck with that ;)
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Like Cumulus and want to support it? Please donate! Image

Phil23
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Win7 Pro

Postby Phil23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:59 pm

mcrossley wrote:Their are existing implementations of the Davis protocol out there if you search hard enough.

Yes,

Just browsing that site. One could easily spend a day getting your head around it for starters.

Not a question with one simple answer.

mcrossley
Operating System: Jessie Lite rPi

Postby mcrossley » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 am

I'd missed the USB HID requirement though, the Davis protocol uses either a serial port - real or virtual - or IP port, for Cumulus anyway. It can operate in some native USB mode but only the Weatherlink software uses that as far as I am aware?

Return to “Cumulus 1”