If you use Cumulus, please donate Image

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

FTP taking a long time to upload

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section and its subforums are the main place to get help with Cumulus. Anything which is not specific to the type of weather station goes in here; for anything specific to a type of weather station, please use the appropriate subforum. Use the 'website development' section for any questions relating to creating or running a web site for Cumulus data. Discussion of the stations themselves in these sections is fine.
THX
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

FTP taking a long time to upload

Postby THX » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Is anyone experiencing long FTP upload times?

I have Cumulus set to upload every 5 minutes. It takes, on average, 2 minutes and 20 seconds to upload my images.

I have a 5 Mbps upload on my U-Verse line and I am using passive FTP.

Even if I am uploading 4 MB, which is on the high side, it should only take around 7 seconds or so.

My host is GoDaddy and I just spent 90 minutes on the line with them and they checked everything and they say things are good on their side.

I'm just wondering if others are experiencing the same thing. This has only just started within the past week.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Raspbian

Re: FTP taking a long time to upload

Postby steve » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:49 pm

FTP is a very inefficient protocol, and for small files like the ones Cumulus uploads, it's the number of files involved which slow things down, rather than the total size. If you turn on ftp logging the ftplog.txt file should show what's going on and where the time is being used.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Like Cumulus and want to support it? Please donate! Image

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 w/Envoy USB
Operating System: Windows-8

Re: FTP taking a long time to upload

Postby PaulMy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 pm

I also FTP to GoDaddy, and for comparison here is my times - using Cumulus 1;
I have 27 files, including 9 realtime interval, as extra files being uploaded and that takes about 75 sec.
The standard Cumulus files - Changing directory to weather, Uploading standard files, Sending html pages takes about 25 sec.
The standard Cumulus Images another 60 seconds before the update finishes and logs out,

for a total of about 160 sec. which also includes the site uploads to WU, CWOP, WOW, WB, etc. that may have their update interval during the normal FTP, as well as realtime.txt.

That total FTP time has not changed much, if any, over the years.

Paul

Return to “Cumulus 1”