Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wish list

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Wish list

Post by gwheelo »

I would like to be able to upload more frequently than the imposed 5 minute minimum. It would be great to see a user entry in minutes or seconds rather than a few radio buttons.

GW
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Wish list

Post by steve »

It wouldn't be too hard to allow this, although I wouldn't recommend too frequent an update interval unless you have a really fast ftp connection. How long does it normally take for an upload in your case (you can turn on logging and look in there, which will give you an idea from the timestamps, or watch the status bar during an upload)? Mine generally takes about 40 seconds, and I have a 448 kbps upload speed. Having said that, the code should cope with 'overlapping' uploads (it doesn't try to start an upload if the previous one is still running).

I think if I were to change it, I would allow the value to be specified in minutes, thus allowing a minimum of 1 minute. How does that sound?

For faster upload rates, I have been working on the beginnings of a near real-time upload, every few seconds, with a Flash-based interface to the data. You can see what I've done so far here: http://sanday.org.uk/weather/CumulusRealtime.html.

Steve
Steve
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

One minute sounds great for the normal uploads. Your instruments look terrific and the near real-time is perfect. I will be happy to beta when you get around to it.

GW
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've uploaded a new version which allows upload intervals of one minute and up. I've also decoupled the settings for the three internet uploads, so check your internet settings after upgrading as some defaults will have been applied for the new settings.

Steve
Steve
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

I will try it tonight -

Re-thinking the instruments and near real-time - I think only the wind speed and direction require that frequency. I think, also, I prefer the three instruments on the console to all the others I have seen. The wind "trend" gauge is particularly valuable where I am on the coast - so I would like to see that instrument included for templates - however, it will not require the near real-time frequencies.

GW
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'll look into getting the three wind gauges uploaded along with the other images.

Steve
Steve
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

Steve -

I installed the new version - as usual without any difficulty - looks great. I am a bit uncertain concerning the regular upload times and the effect of checking the :real-time" box. What happens by checking or not.

To see the results of the FreeWX instruments, take a look here: http://www.wheelocknet.net/cam/index.htm and then click the "NOW" button.

Please let me know when the instruments are available.

GW
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The realtime box isn't of much use at the moment, it controls the uploading of the small text file which supplies the data for the Flash-based display that I gave you a preview of (CumulusRealtime.html at my Sanday weather site), so probably best to leave it unchecked for now.

Steve
Steve
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

OK - I'll wait to check the box when something turns up to use it with.

GW