Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Convert Weather Display data to Cumulus?

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Dan Clark
Weather Station: Davis VP2 (6153)
Operating System: Win7/64

Convert Weather Display data to Cumulus?

Post by Dan Clark »

Hi. I've used Weather Display for several months and am converting to Cumulus. Is it feasible and reasonable to convert the Weather Display data that I've collected? Anyone have any links to documentation describing the process?

Thanks and regards,

Dan.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Convert Weather Display data to Cumulus?

Post by steve »

A Cumulus user known here as "Dane" has been kindly converting Easyweather files for people for several years now, and I seem to recall that he has also recently been successful in converting Weather Display files. I can't find the relevant thread at the moment.

See further down this thread for a Weather Display converter.
Steve
Dan Clark
Weather Station: Davis VP2 (6153)
Operating System: Win7/64

Post by Dan Clark »

steve wrote:A Cumulus user known here as "Dane" has been kindly converting Easyweather files for people for several years now, and I seem to recall that he has also recently been successful in converting Weather Display files. I can't find the relevant thread at the moment.
Steve,

I found the thread and will look at it carefully.

Thanks,

Dan.
martk1972
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 (Wireless)
Operating System: Debian 12.5 (bookworm)

Post by martk1972 »

I thought I would use this old thread instead of making a new one. :D

I have about 5 years of Weather Display data that I need to convert to Cumulus, is there anybody that can convert them for me, or guide me?

Thank you.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

As Steve said suggest you PM dane (all lowercase), he very kindly converted mine for me when I first moved to Cumulus.
David
martk1972
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 (Wireless)
Operating System: Debian 12.5 (bookworm)

Post by martk1972 »

water01 wrote:As Steve said suggest you PM dane (all lowercase), he very kindly converted mine for me when I first moved to Cumulus.
I'll try that, thanks :D
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

Sorry: no.
I have no experience with WD data, and have not done any conversions.
Only EasyWeather data.
Ib
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Sorry for the confusion, I must have misread something somewhere.

So... it may not be too hard for me to produce a WD converter, hopefully reusing a lot of the code from my Weatherlink converter. But I would need good specifications of the files to be converted, and some sample files to play with. I know very little about WD.
Steve
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

It would appear from the FAQ on the Weather Display site it can produce .txt files and .csv files from existing data.
How do you set WD to produce a custom text file customtext.txt?
See the page labelled "Logs and Logging"; there is even a sample. While described as a Log file, You can actually use it to transfer data to any program in any format you wish. The example was used to send data to the HoomSeer program.

What is the purpose of this file?
To tell WD what data is required to be placed in customtextout.txt

How can I convert this txt file to CSV files?
The output within this text file is already formatted in CSV format.
I know nothing about it but it maybe a good start point?
David
duke

Post by duke »

Well, I never thought I would find myself blaspheming on the Cumulus forum :o

Steve, attached are WD log files, these should be all you need. If you like, I could 'zip' all the monthly created log files but I am sure these are enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

These are the 'exported' text versions of the data files, yes? Presumably the units in them aren't fixed, but are specified by the user when they're exported? So I'd either have to have a separate set of settings for the input units, or assume that they're the same as the output ones? (If you haven't seen the Weatherlink converter, it reproduces the unit settings box from Cumulus so you can choose the units you want). The advantage of using the binary Weatherlink logs is that the units in them are fixed.
Steve
duke

Post by duke »

These are the 'exported' text versions of the data files, yes? Presumably the units in them aren't fixed, but are specified by the user when they're exported?
Correct. I'm no expert with WD but I do not see any other format log files other than the '.inf'.

Sorry.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

No worries. I'll have a go at converting the ...lg.txt files into Cumulus monthly log files. And then the dayfile.txt editor in Cumulus can be used to produce the dayfile.txt entries.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Here's my first attempt at a converter.

It takes a WD mmyyyylg.txt file and produces a Cumulus 'monthly' log file from it.

It can't create all of the fields in the Cumulus log file, because the data don't exist in the WD file for some of the fields in the Cumulus log.

Unzip it to somewhere on your PC, and run the WDconverter program.

It creates log files in the 'Converted' folder using the file names which Cumulus expects. If you run it more than once for the same log file, it will first delete the existing converted file. Copy the generated file to the Cumulus data folder. You can then use the dayfile.txt editor in Cumulus to create the dayfile.txt entries (use 'create missing'). You can then use the other editors in Cumulus to generate or update the all-time (etc) records.

When you run it, you select the units. The units in the WD log file and in Cumulus are assumed to be the same.

There are likely to be bugs; please check the results carefully, and report any problems here. The program may crash! If you get an error while processing a file, please zip up the file and attach it to a post here. There may be a file in the 'Converted' folder called 'log.txt' with error messages in it.

Note that neither the converter nor Cumulus can handle data from before January 2000.

This program is in the public domain; you may do whatever you wish with it. You use the program at your own risk. As always, take backups!

Download link: http://sandaysoft.com/files/WDconverter.zip
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's occurred to me that if you have a large number of files to convert, doing them one at a time is rather tedious. Once the bugs are ironed out, I'll do a version which processes all of the files in a folder in one go.
Steve