Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

compatability with mac

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
blackbird
Weather Station: FINE OFFSET 1081
Operating System: mac osx 10.6.8

compatability with mac

Post by blackbird »

Hello
i am new to this forum,but have just registered as i am after a new hobby and would like to have my own weather station in the back garden but doing a little research have come across a few problems.
my first problem is i don't know which weather station to buy,my budget would be around £120 ish to start off with then may be upgrading in the future to a more better one
my second problem is i do not have my own web site, DO i need a web site to upload my date to cumulus
my third problem is my computer i use is a imac with OSX 10.6.8 is cumulus mac compatable or is there some software to make it user friendly.
i thought i would come to the folk who know best rather than just diving in at the deep end and hope someone can steer me in the right direction please.
look forward to many more posts and becoming an active member of the cumulus world.
thank you for your time reading this
kind regards tony (blackbird) :?:
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: compatability with mac

Post by steve »

blackbird wrote:my first problem is i don't know which weather station to buy,my budget would be around £120 ish to start off with then may be upgrading in the future to a more better one
At that price level you would probably be looking at a Fine Offset - available under many different rebadged brand names at places like Maplin. Another possibility would be an Oregon Scientific WMR88, but this does not have a data logger, so you need to have your computer running 24/7. However, there may be other weather stations available at that price level which aren't compatible with Cumulus.
my second problem is i do not have my own web site, DO i need a web site to upload my date to cumulus
You don't need a web site to use Cumulus. You can even publish your data on the web without your own web site using sites such as Weather Underground, e.g. http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =IORKNEYS2 or the Met Office WOW site, e.g. http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/view?siteID=226023
my third problem is my computer i use is a imac with OSX 10.6.8 is cumulus mac compatable or is there some software to make it user friendly.
Cumulus is a Windows program. The only way to make it work on a Mac would be to run Windows, either by using Boot Camp, or by using something like Parallels or VMWare. I am working on a Mac version, but I can't say when it will be ready; I'm not able to do much development work on Cumulus at the moment.
Steve
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum. Have you seen this recent thread ?

Yes, probably the best advice is to spend about half of your (£120) budget on a Fine Offset. Then later, you might want/need to buy a second, identical station (as many have done) as a convenient source of "spare parts" which may well be required in due course. ;)

Alternatively, you might spend the remaining sum on a Second-Hand / Refurbished Windows Netbook (10" screen) which can be particularly suitable for Cumulus with 24/7 operation (web updating, etc.).

Cheers, Alan.
blackbird
Weather Station: FINE OFFSET 1081
Operating System: mac osx 10.6.8

Post by blackbird »

thanks allan
think i will do that seems to be the easy option for me, think i will have a look on the maplins site see what they have got there,just trying to find a cheap notebook.
thank you for the advice.
regards tony (blackbird)
aparsons
Weather Station: WH3080
Operating System: MacOSX

mac mini G4 - no dice

Post by aparsons »

Have an old but good mac mini 1.42GHz PowerPC G4 runnibng MacOSX 10.4.11. Tried to get it to run Cumulus MX by downloading the last Mono compilation (2.10.5 - it said it installed OK) that would run on the G4 but the Cumulus MX would not run, it was missing something (::MakeArrayType()).
I just note this in case anyone else has a mind to try or indeed if anyone has had any success.
This mac mini would be ideal as it is quiet, cool and reliable but of course is running what is now an obselete processor with no more development.
Andrew
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: mac mini G4 - no dice

Post by freddie »

aparsons wrote:Tried to get it to run Cumulus MX by downloading the last Mono compilation (2.10.5 - it said it installed OK) that would run on the G4 but the Cumulus MX would not run, it was missing something (::MakeArrayType()).
I think MX needs a newer mono version. The earliest version I have seen used successfully on this forum is 3.2.8.
Freddie