Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Bug Report

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
GregHudson
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081

Bug Report

Post by GregHudson »

I'm receiving the following error message every few minutes:

Cannot create file 'C:\Program Files\Cumulus\web\images\moon.bmp' The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I have attached the error log to this msg.

Regards, Greg Hudson.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Bug Report

Post by steve »

It saves a copy of the moon image when it does a web update. Something else must be preventing it writing to the file - antivirus or something?
Steve
GregHudson

Post by GregHudson »

steve wrote:It saves a copy of the moon image when it does a web update. Something else must be preventing it writing to the file - antivirus or something?
G'Day Steve.
Unlikely to be AV software causing this - it is only a BMP file after all...

Examining the contents of the folder, the MOON image is the only BMP file. All the rest are PNG's. Might this have something to do with the problem ?

Also, with regards to the error message, it forces itself to the top (of ALL windows)... Is there any chance you could change the Z-Order please ?
What would also be nice is a Menu Item to IGNORE ERRORS thereby alleviating the above problem.

Thanks, Greg.
http://www.hudsoft.com/weather/index.htm
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

GregHudson wrote:Examining the contents of the folder, the MOON image is the only BMP file. All the rest are PNG's. Might this have something to do with the problem ?
I don't think so. Well - it may have something to do with problem in so much as the mechanism for creating the file will be slightly different, but the problem still comes down to another process preventing access to the file.

You're not doing anything else with that file within Cumulus? Specified it for realtime upload or anything?
Also, with regards to the error message, it forces itself to the top (of ALL windows)... Is there any chance you could change the Z-Order please ?
I don't have that sort of control over the error reporting package.
What would also be nice is a Menu Item to IGNORE ERRORS thereby alleviating the above problem.
Well... yes... but then I would have people saying their web sites were incomplete (or whatever) and I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start. I trap most errors, but things like this which are symptomatic of something wrong somewhere, I chose to make more obvious. I'd consider trapping more non-critical errors (like this one) and just logging them, but it's a question of finding the time to do it.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Having looked at the code, I see that I do trap and log errors for creating all the other image files, so I ought to do the same for the moon bitmap.
Steve
Neilk
Weather Station: w8681

Post by Neilk »

Hi steve

i get this same error re moon.bmp
see attached reports.

when this error happens it seems to disrupt the upload of the realtime file to my server which then results in me having to restart Cumulus to re enable the realtime file to upload, bit of a pain as my website can be out of date for a few hours before i notice the ftp upload of realtime.txt has failed again

ps great piece of software , donated to its upkeep :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Neilk wrote:when this error happens it seems to disrupt the upload of the realtime file to my server which then results in me having to restart Cumulus to re enable the realtime file to upload
Yes - because the unhandled error occurs on the realtime upload path, it doesn't get chance to unset the flag that says that a realtime upload is in progress, so it will never attempt another upload. And I forgot to add the code to handle (i.e. ignore) the error in the last release. I'll make sure the next beta has it in.
Steve
wheels
Operating System: XP

Post by wheels »

Hi Steve,
Will this help my problem will realtime not uploading after disconnection? Thread- Possible bug/error?
My server has not gone down since that thread so have not had a debuglog.
I have been looking at backing up upload using a program that I us to upload my tide charts called Fling.
But your next beta may sort the problem out.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne's Weather Watch
Otatara New Zealand
http://homepages.xnet.co.nz/~wheels/weather/index.htm
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

wheels wrote:Will this help my problem will realtime not uploading after disconnection? Thread- Possible bug/error?
Only if you're hitting this specific problem of failing to create the moon.bmp file, which I don't think you are. Regarding your problem, when I get chance I'm going to do some testing with an ftp server running locally here, so I can experiment with killing the ftp server in various ways.
Steve
HasseH
Weather Station: Proove WP1400

Post by HasseH »

There are a few issuses with Cumulus. :-) First, me too, would be happy to have the moon.bmp bug fixed.
Running a Proove WP1400 (Fine Offset) at home and another at my flying club and I never have the moon.bmp problem at home, though sometimes several times a day at the club. I am using my web server as a host for my personal WS and I still FTP the files to the home directory of the web page, so both sites are updated by FTP.The only difference is that the club server has a much slower Internet connection, possibly leaving the moon.bmp locked for copying a lot longer.

Realtime.txt also stops transfering from time to time, though never creating a stop error. I would just have to restart Cumulus to get it going again.

I have also read other posts about humidity/dew point problems and being a private pilot I am interested in having a correct dew point value. As the station is obviously reporting a too low dew point, I have been trying to tweak and corrct this error. Without muuch luck. As other posts states, as soon as the corrected dew point reaches 100% or more, Cumuls just stop displaying changes and the dew point remain the same until Cumulus is restarted. Maybe, it's possible to make a correction in the station itself. I haven't checked that particular value as of yet. Just wanted to get your opinion and experiences.

No application is perfect and Steve, you are doing a great job with a great program. I am generally very happy with it. My greatest concern would be the moon.bmp stop error, as many web visitors are relying on the club's weather station an I am getting a little bit fed up with checking the site every two hours. :-)

Cheers!

Hasse
Gothenburg, Sweden
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

HasseH wrote:There are a few issuses with Cumulus. :-) First, me too, would be happy to have the moon.bmp bug fixed.
Which version of Cumulus are you using? I put the change into 1.8.8 to trap and ignore the error during the creation of the moon.bmp file quite some time ago.
Realtime.txt also stops transfering from time to time, though never creating a stop error. I would just have to restart Cumulus to get it going again.
You could try the cumulus.ini option to periodically disconnect the realtime ftp connection; again, put into 1.8.8 quite some time ago. See the section in the wiki on the cumulus.ini settings.
I have also read other posts about humidity/dew point problems and being a private pilot I am interested in having a correct dew point value. As the station is obviously reporting a too low dew point, I have been trying to tweak and corrct this error. Without muuch luck. As other posts states, as soon as the corrected dew point reaches 100% or more, Cumuls just stop displaying changes and the dew point remain the same until Cumulus is restarted.
Fixed in 1.8.8, quite some time ago.
No application is perfect
That's why I keep releasing fixes. You need to install them though, or they don't work :)
Steve
6719jason
Weather Station: La-Crosse WS3502
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by 6719jason »

I was thinking all the Above of Steve's Reply while reading the previous questions on this thread.

I dont think you could of made it clearer that there was a Brand New Release and Loads of Beta's. :)
I mean you've got the 'Scrolling Banner', Threads etc. To any visitor, you can clearer see the recent activity.

Im surprised he didnt upgrade first then ask, seems pretty logical to me :?

Still, there we go...................

All the best

Jason
HasseH
Weather Station: Proove WP1400

Post by HasseH »

My apoligies for missing the obvious. Having downloaded and installed the latest release just 10 days before my post, I just missed the new release from a day earlier.

Hasse
Repairman77
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: XP pro SP3

Post by Repairman77 »

New thread started on Bug Report theme.
Retired Radio and Electronics Engineer residing in Cambridgeshire, UK.
peter_dtm
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: XP SP3

Re: Bug Report Cumulus 1.8.8

Post by peter_dtm »

crashed on re-start

ran ok after trying again

(seems a lot better than EasyWeather; especially having a data logger)

Pete