Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

RestartIfUnplugged

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Megachip
Weather Station: WS3080
Operating System: Windows 2003

RestartIfUnplugged

Post by Megachip »

Code: Select all

RestartIfUnplugged=1
RestartIfDataStops=1
How did these params work?
Wiki said "1 = Enabled, Cumulus will restart if it detects that a Fine Offset station is unplugged." ... but nothing happens, when I've got "Fine Offset station not found! - check connections and restart Cumulus".

For some month, I've swiched my powerlan (which connects the ws3080 with cumulus) from old allnet 200mbit to new Fritz 500mbit. Since that Switch, I constantly get these disconnects :'(

Even on "Error - station unplugged - check connections and restart Cumulus" no restart happens :(

Thx for suggestions or ideas,
best,
meg
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: RestartIfUnplugged

Post by steve »

If Cumulus has been successfully talking to the station, and then the appropriate condition occurs, Cumulus will attempt to restart. As far as I know, those settings work - I've definitely seen diags logs where restarts have occurred because people are using those settings. It does the 'unplugged' check when it tries to read data from the station - this is separate to that error message you quote, which occurs as a result of a notification from Windows.

Did you edit Cumulus.ini with Cumulus stopped? Does Cumulus stop reading new data after you see that error message?

Note that these settings are just an attempt to be helpful. They're not guaranteed, and they're not a substitute for fixing your underlying problem.
Steve
Megachip

Post by Megachip »

Did you edit Cumulus.ini with Cumulus stopped? Does Cumulus stop reading new data after you see that error message?
Set the parameters within the gui. Yeah, it stopped until I restarted cumulus.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If you zip up and attach a diags file from an example of the unplugging occurring, I'll take a look.
Steve
Megachip

Post by Megachip »

steve wrote:If you zip up and attach a diags file from an example of the unplugging occurring, I'll take a look.
Hope thats the right one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

That's the debug log, it's the diags file (from the diags folder) that I'd like to see.
Steve
Megachip

Post by Megachip »

steve wrote:That's the debug log, it's the diags file (from the diags folder) that I'd like to see.
Thats why its content making noch much sense for me ;) Now the right one(s).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Seems to be working. For example:

23.06.2017 13:53:00.119 : Error!!! Failed to write to USB!

Then, 60 seconds later:

23.06.2017 13:54:00.244 : *** Data input appears to have stopped, restarting

And again:

23.06.2017 14:17:01.963 : Error!!! Failed to write to USB!

There was no 'restarting' message this time (the last log messages don't always get flushed to the file), but it appears to have restarted exactly 60 seconds later:

23.06.2017 14:18:01.010 : Cumulus 1.9.4 Build 1099 startup
Steve
Megachip

Post by Megachip »

steve wrote:Seems to be working...

There was no 'restarting' message this time (the last log messages don't always get flushed to the file), but it appears to have restarted exactly 60 seconds later:
Thats strange. All realtime values are zeroed. nothing is send to wunderground, twitter etc anymore. nothing is logged :(

Possible it worked "sometimes"? So everytime I've got a new log I have to restarted cumulus.
Wait, I think I see the problem. Cumulus detect that connection is lost and restart. After restart it see that there is no connection and stopped (instead of restarting again ... e.g. every 60 seconds or a custom time)

So restarting works, but only once :(

Did I got it right?

Thanks for supporting,
best,
meg
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The point of the setting (which is really just a hack) is to stop Cumulus logging the same data repeatedly if the connection to the station is lost. When it restarts, the expectation is that it won't be able to reconnect and hence won't log any new data, and no, it won't restart again after that, it expects you to fix the problem and then restart it yourself.

If it can reconnect to the station, it will start logging new data and will restart again if the problem occurs again.

You seem to get the problem quite often, and the real solution is to fix your system, rather than expecting the software to handle something that it really wasn't designed to handle, as I explained previously.
Steve
Megachip

Post by Megachip »

steve wrote:The point of the setting (which is really just a hack) is to stop Cumulus logging the same data repeatedly if the connection to the station is lost. When it restarts, the expectation is that it won't be able to reconnect and hence won't log any new data, and no, it won't restart again after that, it expects you to fix the problem and then restart it yourself.

If it can reconnect to the station, it will start logging new data and will restart again if the problem occurs again.

You seem to get the problem quite often, and the real solution is to fix your system, rather than expecting the software to handle something that it really wasn't designed to handle, as I explained previously.
You're right, but this isn't easy to fix. Everytime I take a look, the USB connection is fine. so it seems the outtakes are just seconds or minutes.
Try to get MX running on RasPi, no chance. Than I switched to frewe, which runs fine on FritzBox, but logs solar radiation wrong...

So I just hoped there would be an easy way with the old cumulus ;)
Megachip

Post by Megachip »

Hi Steve,

strange, after one year I found a no work solution ;) Just mapping a second USB Device (in this case an usb stick with frewe) to server which running cumulus solves the interruptions in usb connection.

Just in case someone else using cumulus and weather stations via PowerLAN (or specially via FritzPowerLAN).

Thanks for supporting,
best,
meg