Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

FTP Connect Error 500 Again

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: FTP Connect Error 500 Again

Post by steve »

WxLee wrote:I can't get my website to open at all....endlessly tries. Is your server down?
Your domain is no longer pointing at my server (which is 5.9.113.114):

C:\Users\steve>nslookup berlinhtsweather.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.167.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: berlinhtsweather.com
Address: 173.91.186.108

C:\Users\steve>nslookup http://www.berlinhtsweather.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.167.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: berlinhtsweather.com
Address: 173.91.186.108
Aliases: http://www.berlinhtsweather.com

Perhaps your DNS entries were reset as a result of the DDoS attacks that Dyn (your domain registrar and DNS provider) have been suffering today.
Steve
WxLee
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2/Vue
Operating System: Windows 7x64 SP1

Post by WxLee »

Ah. And I know why. We had a power outage yesterday, and it seriously screwed up several things here on computers, even though they are on UPS power devices. I spent several hours last night trying to get DYN Updater FINALLY working again. I should have known it would hose all the settings too, but didn't think of it. I'll go through them all again..........one would think it would keep the settings current based on account login information, but it always wants to screw everything up.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's unlikely to be anything to do with any problems on your local network, unless somehow that caused an update to the address records of berlinhtsweather.com (which would be rather odd). Once set, those should normally stay set without any further action from you, so it's much more likely to be the problems at Dyn today.
Steve
WxLee

Post by WxLee »

For some reason, DYN changed my A-Record setting BACK from what I had set by your instruction to being what they perceive as my location IP address. I am not familiar with this kind of thing, so can you tell me which of the 3 settings choices they have here is the one I should be selecting? Perhaps this is why they changed it back if I chose the wrong one.

- Host with IP address
- WebHop Redirect (URL forwarding service)
- Offline Hostname
WRONG A-Record Setting.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WxLee

Post by WxLee »

As soon as I changed the A-Record back to 5.9.113.114 and saved the changes, my site sprang to life again. I'd like to prevent this issue if you can suggest how I might do that.

Thanks!
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

It would appear Dyn had a problem today according to the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37728015
David
WxLee

Post by WxLee »

Thanks. That was interesting reading. I wonder if the change DYN made to my settings was some kind of fallback procedure that happened automatically?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, quite likely. I think that's what I've been trying to suggest in my previous posts, where I mentioned the problems at Dyn.
Steve
Warrandyte
Weather Station: Fine Offset with Solar
Operating System: Windows XP, 7 8 and 10

Post by Warrandyte »

Ive had a similar intermittent issue where neither the hostname nor ip appear to be resolving as they keep pulling back the record of the nameserver.

However I still acceeess the site through another provider.

seems like the NS records are all fouled up somewhere, maybe i should just point them all to google on 8.8.8.8 instead

Rob