Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 'Freezing'

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Gordon-Loomberah
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar and UV
Operating System: Windows 10 home

Re: Cumulus 'Freezing'

Post by Gordon-Loomberah »

Thanks Steve, I figured that was what was going on with that error number, but I don't know why it is continuing to happen 2 or 3 times per day, at random times. The laptop is only running Cumulus and the Graphtec solar data logger, so the processor is not working too hard, and there is plenty of free memory.
Loomberah Weather: http://gunagulla.com
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Do you have all USB power saving turned off?
Steve
Gordon-Loomberah

I think I did set USB selective suspend to disabled when I set the computer up a year or more ago, but just found them enabled, so changed them back. I'm not sure why this would change, presumably only a few days ago, with no input from me.

The solar data logging is every second, so I would think the USB controller should be active all the time anyway.

Anyway, I'll see how it goes tonight.

thanks.
Gordon-Loomberah

It looks like that made no difference, as it has stopped twice already today. Attached diag file covering the first freeze at 5:18am
cumulus20170518.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, communication with the logger is still being lost, for whatever reason.
Steve
Gordon-Loomberah

I installed build 1099, restarted, and it downloaded the backlog, but then stopped and didn't log any new data.

I re-started and it went for about 8 hours, but then it froze again ;( So then I just ran it long enough to grab the backlog and closed it again a few times, to avoid the freezes.
Then I noticed a 'restart if data stops' box, and checked that, and looking in the diags directory, see that it re-started at 4:30 and 10:03am this morning.

So it seems this is a work-around for now, which will just cause the missing of an occasional 1 minute log entry.
doozy
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by doozy »

I gave up on cumulus. I have no idea why it's freezing up. Sucks because I really like weather34.com.
Gordon-Loomberah

The auto-restart works most of the time, up to about 8 times per day, although I still have to manually re-start sometimes. This is usually due to the -32701 error not clearing in time for the re-start, and also sometimes it just sits there with nothing happening, with zeros displayed for temp etc, or doesn't download any more after it has downloaded the VP2 logger on a re-start.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

doozy wrote:I gave up on cumulus. I have no idea why it's freezing up. Sucks because I really like weather34.com.
Wel, I was trying to help, but you ignored my last post. Anyway, it's probably for the best that you've given up, there's probably nothing I could have done anyway. Cumulus works for 99% of people, but there are just some systems whch are problematic and take time to diagnose, and I don't have a lot of time to spend these days.
Steve
Gordon-Loomberah

Update to my problem above- the restarts were getting more and more frequent, often 10 restarts by the middle of the day. Looking in device manager it said the USB ports were all ok, but I didn't believe it. I bought a 2nd hand HP laptop with Win7 to replace the Sony Vaio (with the abominable Win8 OS), and all appears well now, with no freezing issues.
Ubbe
Weather Station: Oregon WMR 200
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Post by Ubbe »

I fixed my frezzings with a USB Hub, with external power supply! :D

Running 24-7 with no issues.