Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 'Freezing'

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Cumulus 'Freezing'

Post by geoffw »

I'm using Cumulus 1.9.6 Build 1099 with an Oregon WMR200 on a computer running Windows 10, and am suffering an increasingly frustrating random problem of Cumulus 'freezing' for no apparent reason. I have to close it with Task Manager and restart.

I have tried re-installing Cumulus but that doesn't seem to help.
Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus 'Freezing'

Post by steve »

If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I'll try to take a look, but my present circumstances - touring Ireland - may make that difficult. If Cumulus hangs, it's almost certainly because some system code is having difficulty doing something, e.g. communicating with your station.A hang in Cumulus itself wouldn't require task manager to close it.
Steve
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

Thanks for responding so swiftly Steve. I'll leave you to enjoy your holiday for the time being, as I am trying it with another W10 laptop I have. I copied the cumulus directory to the 'new' machine and it has run without fault since 8.00am this morning.
Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

One thought occurs to me, have you disabled all USB power saving settings?
Steve
NeilThomas
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 4

Post by NeilThomas »

Hi
I had a similar issue, manifested by the temperature readings from the external unit flat lining. Resetting the station resolved the issue for short periods of time but within a few weeks, the problem re-occurred. I had replaced batteries in the outside unit several times but eventually, I simply had to replace the outside temp sensor.

I got Oregon to give me a discount on the new unit as I said it should last more than a few years.
Neil Thomas
website: weather.oaktreewebs.co.uk | Davis Vantage Pro II | CumulusMX, Raspberry Pi 4 | MX V4 build 4010
doozy
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by doozy »

I'm having the same issue, but with Windows 7. Cumulus freezing up daily.
Hardware: Oregon Scientific WMR200 and latest Cumulus version.

Any fix for this?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by "freezing", and what version of Cumulus you are using (there are effectively two 'latest' versions, and this section of the forum is for Cumulus 1)

As above - have you disabled all USB power saving?
Steve
doozy

Post by doozy »

I can confirm that the USB power saver is off. Ambient Weather runs fine for months on end. Cumulus runs fine for a few hours then it stop responding or freezing. I can close the program and open it back up and it starts working again.

This is the version I'm using.
doozy

Post by doozy »

here, I'm starting to get errors again.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's stopped getting data from the station. If you turn on debug logging, the debug.log file will show the data transfers and might give a clue. Delete any existing devug.log file before you turn it on, and if you upload the debug.log file here, please zip it up first - I am currently on a very expensive and limited mobile connection (you could also edit the file to only include the last lines).
Steve
Gordon-Loomberah
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar and UV
Operating System: Windows 10 home

Post by Gordon-Loomberah »

For the past few days I've also been getting this problem. Several times per day I have to stop Cumulus, edit May17log and today.ini back to when it froze, then re-start.

I'm using Win8, Cumulus v1.9.4 build 1097, and the problem started when I hadn't ended the VCAgent process for a while and it had filled up memory, so Cumulus and my off-grid solar system data logging software had both stopped. The solar logging is continuing as normal now, and I've been more vigilant in ending VCAgent, but Cumulus continues to freeze 2 or 3 times per day.

By freezing, I mean the display stops updating, but the station continues as normal. Cumuls isn't getting data from the station, a VP2.

I've jiggled the USB cable around and started the debug log, so I'll see how it goes now.
Loomberah Weather: http://gunagulla.com
Gordon-Loomberah

It's still freezing, I dont think it is a problem with the USB cable, attached zipped debug file. The error log shows the same as Doozy's, above.
debug.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The debug log doesn't tell me anything, as yours is a Davis station. All we can say from the debug log is that the last data loaded was at 12:00:07, but you haven't said when the data in Cumulus stopped changing. Have you looked at the diags file? That may show something. But basically, if you are seeing 'data stopped', the most likely explanation is that the Davis DLL is unable to communicate with the console, for whatever reason. If the DLL is returning an error, that will be logged to the diags file, not the debug log.
Steve
Gordon-Loomberah

On that occasion the display stopped changing at 9:43, which can be seen in the attached diags file, the start of many lines of:
VP2: LoadCurrentVantageData_V, error = -32701.

12:00 was when I stopped Cumulus to edit the files and restart.

Relevant diags file:
cumulus20170517.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

This says that the DLL was unable to communicate with the console.
Steve