Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4021) - 04 May 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Removing spurious rainfall readings

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
martinu
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspberry Pi: Raspbian Stretch

Removing spurious rainfall readings

Post by martinu »

When I took my Davis weather station down to clean out the rain tipper and funnel, and the temperature/humidity sensor, the rain sensor registered 0.4 mm (two tips) of rain that did not actually occur.

What is the best way of correcting all the various logs/records? I can edit the Apr17.txt file very easily. I've been able to correct the all-time, annual, monthly and this month rainfall rate records (it had registered a stupidly large value) using the various options in the Edit menu.

The only thing I can't correct is the number of wet and dry days for the Today menu on the web site; I can correct the This Year and This month values from the Edit menu. The only place where I can find the Today values is in today.ini, and if I edit this, even with Cumulus not running, it gets reset soon after Cumulus starts - so the information is evidently being held somewhere that I'm not aware of.

I've got it to a state where month.ini, year.ini, dayfile.txt, monthalltime.ini and alltime.ini are correct, and only today.ini keeps getting reset if I manually edit that file.

It would be nice to preserve in all places the records of the current long run of dry weather, in case it subsequently exceeds the present month and all time records.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Removing spurious rainfall readings

Post by steve »

Do you mean the days since last dry day and days since it last rained? As far as I can remember,those are held in today.ini. I can't think where else they would be held.
Steve
martinu
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspberry Pi: Raspbian Stretch

Post by martinu »

Yes, days since it last rained etc. They are held in today.ini. The problem is that something overwrites any edits that you make to the file, and there isn't an option in the Edit menu of Cumulus to make the corrections in such as way that the program knows about it and doesn't try to "correct" your hand-edits.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Sorry, I can't say any more than that right now,being on the road. When I next get chance, I'll look at the code, but I'm pretty sure it just reads the values from today.ini. Perhaps you could upload your today.ini before you edit it, and afterwards, someone may be able to suggest something. You could also look in the diags file to see what it says about the two figures after it starts up and reads today.ini.
Steve