Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

No historic records read from Davis station after power cut

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
martinu
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspberry Pi: Raspbian Stretch

No historic records read from Davis station after power cut

Post by martinu »

Our power went off for about two hours so of course the PC could not poll the Davis weather station console every 10 minutes. I was expecting that when the power eventually came back, Cumulus would read historic records every half an hour during the time that the power was off. But when it started, it reported "Archive records read: 0".

I'm sure in the past when there's been a power cut, I've seen the gap filled with archive readings every 30 mins, which means I only have to duplicate each reading twice in the Apr17log.txt file to fill in the xx:10 and xx:20, and then the xx:40 and xx:50 readings, so what was different this time? I'm on V1.9.4 Build 1097 of Cumulus.

I hadn't manually tweaked any of the files so they were left in the state that they were at the point of the power cut, with the last reading in the log file at 16:10 and the today.ini with the state that it was in at 16:14 when the power went off. So when the PC restarted at 19:05, Cumulus should have seen that there were no log readings since 16:10 and that today.ini showed a time shortly after that, and should have retrieved log entries at 16:30,17:00, 17:30, 18:00, 18:30 and 19:00 from the logging device in the Davis console. I confirmed that the console *did* keep running during the time - its battery hadn't gone flat.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: No historic records read from Davis station after power cut

Post by steve »

You apparently have Cumulus set to a different logging interval to your console - 10 minutes in Cumulus and 30 minutes in the console, despite the warning in the readme.txt. This can cause a number of issues due to undocumented 'features' of the console firmware. One possible issue is that the console doesn't send any archive data when asked for it, depending on whether or not the last Cumulus log entry coincides with a console log entry.
Steve
martinu

Post by martinu »

Ah. I'll have to see how I increase the Davis logging frequency to once every 10 minutes, in case it happens again. Maybe on previous occasions I've always been lucky and the most recent Cumulus log entry has coincided with an xx:00 or xx:30 Davis log entry.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I think you'll have to use Weatherlink to change the logging interval - although I'm not familiar with the Vue, and it is possible that they have made it adjustable via the console on those.
Steve
martinu

Post by martinu »

Before I wiped the archive data in the David logger due to increasing the logging frequency, I was able to download the every-30-mins data using WeatherLink and I've just finished patching it into the Apr17log.txt file so the graphs are less staircase-like :-)

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the readme.txt file which I should have read when I first installed Cumulus three years ago. :oops:
VTHokie74
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian

Post by VTHokie74 »

I had to do the same thing a while back. I set both intervals to 5 minutes. The console had been set to the default 30 minute interval. I couldn't find my original Weatherlink CD but Davis sent me a link to download the full latest version. The public website only has the update files.

I had a power failure last month and found out my console batteries had died. They had started to leak so it was a blessing in disguise. When I reconnected I got some bad data like 0 degree temperatures. This messed up the monthly record files. Which file(s) do I need to edit to clean out the bad record data? I am using CMX on a RP3.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

VTHokie74 wrote:Which file(s) do I need to edit to clean out the bad record data?
You may have to edit any or all of:

Mar17log.txt
dayfile.txt
month201703.ini (the saved copy of month.ini for March)
year.ini
alltime.ini
monthlyalltime.ini

There is a lot more information about correcting data in the FAQ and the wiki (any references to built-in editors do not apply to MX, all editing has to be done externally, with MX stopped).
Steve
VTHokie74
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian

Post by VTHokie74 »

steve wrote: There is a lot more information about correcting data in the FAQ and the wiki (any references to built-in editors do not apply to MX, all editing has to be done externally, with MX stopped).
Thanks Steve. I'll read the FAQ on that. I knew I had to shut down MX to edit files.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3