Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Stealing focus, unable to minimize (with very wide monitor)

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
spatula
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Stealing focus, unable to minimize (with very wide monitor)

Post by spatula »

I recently switched to an unusually wide monitor, resolution is 2560x1080. This could be related to some unusual behavior I've seen with Cumulus since, or it could be an enormous coincidence and have something to do with routine Windows 10 updates too. This is with Cumulus 1.9.4 build 1089.

The two new behaviors I've seen:

1. Periodically, after being minimized in the taskbar, Cumulus restores itself, takes focus, and can no longer be minimized. Clicking the minimize control ( -- ) has no effect. Restarting Cumulus when this happens returns it to normal operation. It appears to still be functioning when this happens-- data is still read and reported. It isn't clear what causes it to un-minimize itself. I can find no hiding modal windows. There are no messages in the error log.

2. The "New Record" and "Catch Up" indicators no longer seem to do anything (they don't "light up").

I checked and noticed that at some point the "allow Windows to turn off this device to save power" option got re-enabled for my station (a Davis Vantage console), so I disabled that option again... but it has likely been like that for months. Who knows when/if Windows might have decided it was time to turn off the device though.

I've turned on the debug log to see if problem #1 (the more troubling one) happens again and hopefully capture some log detail if it does. For now, I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this behavior, especially with unusually wide monitors.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Stealing focus, unable to minimize (with very wide monitor)

Post by steve »

For the first issue, this could be related to web updates, if I remember correctly, Cumulus 1 doesn't behave optimally when uploading, some actions use the main thread when they should really be on a background thread. Perhaps web updates are taking longer than usual.

Regarding the new record light, have you definitely broken any all time records?

I don't know why the catch up light apparently won't work (assuming you understand what the light is intended to indicate), but it could be that all three issues are related and are perhaps something to do with your graphics driver.
Steve
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Re: Stealing focus, unable to minimize (with very wide monitor)

Post by ConligWX »

Also beware Windows 10 has a tendancy to "scale" layouts to something other than 100%

my 2560 x 1440 is set to a "default" scale of 125% by windows. some apps dont like this.

Setting is in "Display" of windows 10.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •