Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus isnt tweeting

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
p0welly
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 10

Cumulus isnt tweeting

Post by p0welly »

Trying to get Cumulus to tweet and having no luck, ftp works fine so the software has internet access.

I noticed the oAuth codes were not in the cunmulus ini so have manually created an app on apps.twittter.com but still getting nowhere. Am I missing something obvious?

I'm running 1.9.4 (1099)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus isnt tweeting

Post by steve »

I’m afraid that since Twitter changed their authentication protocol yet again, Cumulus can no longer obtain the keys which allow it to post. Only those who obtained their keys prior to the last change can post using Cumulus.
Steve
p0welly
Weather Station: Fine Offset

Post by p0welly »

Ah bugger. I was hoping manually generating the keys would sort it.

Oh well, spent the evening playing with Cumulus MX, very impressive. Now to dig out a spare Raspberry Pi
Claira42
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue

Post by Claira42 »

My Cumulus has also stopped uploading to my Twitter account as of December 16th. No warning, nothing.

I went to the Cumulus files and tried to input new Tokens but it still will not accept it. Both Tokens read =unknown even when saved after closing etc.

I noticed that other people are still using Cumulus and posting to Twitter, so I am not sure if it is a Token change or not.

At Christmas, this has really put a dampener on my weather updates now that I am not getting out to let people know how good or bad the weather is in South Essex.

Please, please could someone help me. I have read all the details placed on the forum through the years but, I think that if there is no fix then I might have to get my own website.

If anyone has an update to these Tokens, please email me as I am at a total loss now. Twitter @Weather_SS17 lisasargent03@gmail.com

Thank you. :evil:
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

My Cumulus has also stopped uploading to my Twitter account as of December 16th. No warning, nothing.

I went to the Cumulus files and tried to input new Tokens but it still will not accept it. Both Tokens read =unknown even when saved after closing etc.

I noticed that other people are still using Cumulus and posting to Twitter, so I am not sure if it is a Token change or not.

At Christmas, this has really put a dampener on my weather updates now that I am not getting out to let people know how good or bad the weather is in South Essex.

Please, please could someone help me. I have read all the details placed on the forum through the years but, I think that if there is no fix then I might have to get my own website.

If anyone has an update to these Tokens, please email me as I am at a total loss now. Twitter @Weather_SS17 lisasargent03@gmail.com

Thank you. :evil: I am running the standard Cumulus, not MX and have been using it since 2014 with no problems.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

As I said above, there is now no way for Cumulus to obtain the tokens. You cannot get the tokens from anyone else, they are unique to you.

If you still have copies of your tokens you can edit Cumulus.ini to add them - edit the file with Cumulus stopped.
Steve
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

steve wrote:As I said above, there is now no way for Cumulus to obtain the tokens. You cannot get the tokens from anyone else, they are unique to you.

If you still have copies of your tokens you can edit Cumulus.ini to add them - edit the file with Cumulus stopped.

No, I don't have the keys as I deleted them thinking that this was the problem. But as there was two versions of these Tokens I did not know which one Cumulus was using.

I have been advised to try Cumulus MX, but will this help me get new Tokens for Twitter?

Are you saying that Cumulus and Cumulus MX will not post anymore and never will?

Thanks, Lisa.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

They will both continue to tweet as long as you already have the tokens. Neither are able to obtain tokens.

There will be no more changes to Cumulus 1.

It is possible that there will be further releases of MX and it is possible that may include catering for the changed Twitter token mechanism. I cannot say when that might happen, if at all.
Steve
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

Sorry for being so dumb, but as you can understand I have never had this problem before and I woke up to Cumulus 1 not posting so I went to the Token site and noticed that all my details were out of date. So, I deleted them thinking that Cumulus didn't use it. (I was never told that it was using any of the details enclosed so I just deleted them.)

On finding this out, I made new ones and just thought that pasting the new tokens to the config file in cumulus 1 would have worked. Thus it has not.
So, as you said, I cannot go back now?

If I download Cumulus MX would this be the same as Cumulus 1 where I stupidly forgot to record my old tokens so I will have the same problem posting to twitter with this programme too?

If you say yes to both then I might as well make my own website and start again because I don't want to lose all my data that I have amassed over the years just for the sake of some stupid numbers that I did not write down.

Please advise, thanks, Lisa.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cumulus uses only the tokens in the Cumulus.ini file, not any tokens on any web site anywhere. If you have removed them from the Cumulus.ini file then they are irretrievably lost, unless you have a backup of the Cumulus.ini file, which of course you should have.

You can’t get the tokens yourself, only Cumulus would be able to get them, but it can’t get them now because Twitter changed their API yet again. As I said above neither Cumulus 1 nor Cumulus MX can now get tokens.
Steve
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

Sorry, I didn't make a copy because I didn't know anything like this could happen. I am going to try going back on my windows recovery, but as I deleted the files that were associated with my old website, if this was the keys my twitter.txt was using then I might as well give up altogether.

I will see what I can do after that.

Thank you for all your help. Great site.
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

I found my old codes and put them into the cumulus file and saved them, but as expected, because I deleted the out of date twitter details that I thought were just for my old website. Of course, they must have also had my access to Twitter on them also otherwise it would have worked when I entered my old keys back into the cumulus file and saved them.

So, unless anyone has another fix for this then I have to say goodbye to ever getting Cumulus 1 to send my details to Twitter.

So sad, especially at Christmas.

Thanks, Lisa
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

Steve, I noticed that you said that if I had a back up of the Cumulus config file it would work. Well, I found my old keys on a back up from 2014, which dates back to my website.

Are you saying that even though I deleted the twitter apps that already had my old website keys on which, could have had my keys and allowed me to tweet to twitter in the first place, because I have deleted these apps it still is not going to work?

If deleting those apps isn't the problem then all I have to do is delete the current cumulus config file and replace with my 2014 version?

Would that be right or wrong?

Thanks, Lisa
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

All you need are the details of your Twitter account including the correct keys for your account (as originally obtained by Cumulus) in the Cumulus.ini file. So yes, the old version of your Cumulus.ini file should work.

I can’t actually remember what you have to configure (if anything) in your Twitter account to allow Cumulus to post updates.
Steve
Athensman
Weather Station: WS-2080
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Athensman »

did anyone ever fix the issue with cumulus not tweeting? I still have my coins and i put them in my cumulus.ini file but it still dont tweet